Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First of all, I'm getting into mechanics, I bought my first car a year ago and I'm learning a lot from this forum! I'm also having a lot of fun fiddling with my car!

I did the one side valve cover gaskets using a Fel-Pro kit in my 97 OB back in November (2k miles ago) and did the other side last week because it had started leaking. After fixing the second, I saw a small drop of oil sitting at the lower rear corner of the gasket on both sides!

I want to redo the repair and fix the reason why the gaskets are not sealing. I was hoping to reuse the gaskets, but please correct me if it would be a bad idea.

Doing the repair, on the first side I was really cautious cleaning the valve cover and the head. I degreased the valve cover and left it really clean. I had the gasket oiled a bit before putting it back in. I hand-tightened the screws up to the point where the resistance from the rubber became much higher in a fraction of a turn, I was also choking the wrench at 5 or 6''. On the first side I tightened the screw a little bit more after driving 100 miles as my friend suggested.

I forgot to clean the head side of the gasket for the second side (stupid me) and that side started leaking before me doing any retightening.

What do you recommend me to do different? Should I put new half moons (they don't come with the fel-pro set) and seal them? Should I use some sealant in the curvy parts of the gasket at the front of the engine? I believe I didn't overtorque them, but should I just redo it with a torque wrench?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
If they are the same as the ej25 ones no need to torque as the bolts have a machined step in them to allow you to tighten them up snug without using a torque wrench. Use a good 1/4 inch drive ratchet and tighten until tight holding the ratchet about 2-2 1/2 inches from the head.

Did you replace the spark plug tube and bolt seal as well. If not the bolt seals could the cause of your leak and if your going back in there you might as we'll do them also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I used the fel-pro kit with grommets and the small gaskets for the spark plugs.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cardoc, are those numbers for the 96 outback? Rock auto shows them as such, it shows 036-1590 and 036-1591 for the 97.

The fel-pro gaskets didn't have a too bad fit, though not that great given they are leaking.

Do you usually change / re-seal the half-moons?

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
I always reseal the 1/2 moons. I have used the fel-pro set with no problems, barring that the genuine Subaru is your best bet. Also take a close look at the breather box gaslets as they are known to harden and leak too.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Check that the PCV valve is functioning properly and not clogged. A clogged PCV valve will allow pressure to build in the crank case. The first victim is usually the valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wagondude, that's a good point.

Once I fixed one side the other side's leak went really fast, it was clean when I fixed the first side. A couple of weeks ago I checked the PCV valve it look like it was working, but I replaced it last weekend it as I got a parts order.

Let's see if with the new PCV valve makes the differences, the leak was really small. If not, I'll get the OEM gaskets and put them on.

Thanks all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts