Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experiencing this? It’s been raining a lot here in sunny South Florida and I noticed tonight that there was water on the inside of the rear window after I used the wiper to clear it. My car has under 1,000 miles I bought it brand new a few weeks ago this is just strange. I got home and checked the rear cargo area which is soaked I took some picks for the dealer I think it’s coming in from the hatch spoiler area. Oh well going to have to take her in to the dealer soon.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,436 Posts
Anyone else experiencing this? It’s been raining a lot here in sunny South Florida and I noticed tonight that there was water on the inside of the rear window after I used the wiper to clear it. My car has under 1,000 miles I bought it brand new a few weeks ago this is just strange. I got home and checked the rear cargo area which is soaked I took some picks for the dealer I think it’s coming in from the hatch spoiler area. Oh well going to have to take her in to the dealer soon.
I've been through some very heavy down pours in my new OB but haven't noticed any leaks whatsoever. Can you post pics of the location of where your's happened? I want to keep an eye out for them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems to be coming through the trim up near the hinge on the drivers side. I’m kind of worried about how much water is under that panel where the switches are.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
It seems to be coming through the trim up near the hinge on the drivers side. I’m kind of worried about how much water is under that panel where the switches are.
Might be the seal at the third brake light leaking.

The dealer will get it fixed for ya.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I’m sure Subaru’s dealer network is pretty decent compared to other manufacturers this is my second Subie. I have faith in them?

·
Registered
420 Posts
My money's on the 3rd brake light, too, the "leak pattern" is nearly identical to my three issues:
Our 2010 and 2013 developed this leak, one replaced in-warranty, and then I replaced both seals (with MUCH better sealant material - 3M seal-strip, really nice stuff) later on, when they both failed, eventually (zero issues after using the 3M material to fix it; 2010 traded in 2020 deal, but 2013 still going strong).
It's not a hard-fix, in terms of DIY, but obviously this is a warranty deal.
I kinda' wonder why Subaru is STILL struggling with this though, you'd think they'd just put in something better than that thin-gasket material, and be done with this, by now... I'm really curious, if the outcome is the same.
The truly bizarre thing (at least when they fixed the 2010, around 2013), is that Subaru replaces the entire light assembly, they never seem to have come up with a "simple replacement gasket", at least that I've ever heard of.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
334 Posts
I drove through some horrendous rain a few days after getting our OB Touring XT and did not have any water come in around the hatch. So hopefully that is just needing to reseat or replace the rubber material that goes around the sides. You might check to see if it is seated all the way around before wasting time at the dealer.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah, @aspexin19 , our 2010 took a couple of years to leak, almost 3, looking back at that service where they replaced it, the first time.
The 2013, took almost 6 years, although by now, I'd gotten the 3M "strip goop" (best description for it, it's VERY thick/stout stuff, if a bit "tricky" to apply) process down (from replacing the 2010 gasket myself, after it leaked with the warranty-replaced LED panel), so I just used some more of that stuff.
So, "on average", I'd say it took our cars about 3-6 years to start leaking, with the stock-seal, and neither ever leaked again, after I used the 3M stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dropped the car off this morning at the dealer, they wanted to keep the car, because they want to make sure it’s fixed correctly. I took their loaner forester ?. I’ll keep everyone updated on the issue.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,881 Posts
Most likely the leak itself will be a fairly simple fix. I would be a little worried about any padding or insulation under the trim panels that might be soaked and whether or not they do anything to dry that out.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
1,952 Posts
Yeah, @aspexin19 , our 2010 took a couple of years to leak, almost 3, looking back at that service where they replaced it, the first time.
The 2013, took almost 6 years, although by now, I'd gotten the 3M "strip goop" (best description for it, it's VERY thick/stout stuff, if a bit "tricky" to apply) process down (from replacing the 2010 gasket myself, after it leaked with the warranty-replaced LED panel), so I just used some more of that stuff.
So, "on average", I'd say it took our cars about 3-6 years to start leaking, with the stock-seal, and neither ever leaked again, after I used the 3M stuff.
Got a link to what you used?

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
455 Posts
If they're still like the 4th Gen, the antenna amplifier sits up in the hatch, nearly under the brake light. Make sure it isn't getting wet as well.

You want silicone gasket maker, put a nice bead, let it firm up, and reinstall the light. Mine hasn't leaked in 4+ years, since I made the repair.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts