Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i 4 inch ADF lift 215/70/16 BFG's Sparco Wheels
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Outback 2.5 si that I bought used with 127000 miles
I didn?t notice any oil leaks or oil smell when I drove the car at the lot but the first road trip I stoped and noticed the smell oil burnt oil
I had the axles replaced at my local Subaru repair shop who I trust and do good work
They said the left inner axle seal was leaking onto the Y pipe causing the smell
The seal was replaced and I have put around 7k miles on the repair
I have pressure washed the exhaust and leak area twice and it?s been ariund four months
I still have the smell. If I turn on the AC or step outside the car it?s there
No fluids leak onto pavement under the car but you can see the Y pipe stains
But the axle seal looks ok.
Clear fluid on the transmission /engine mount area

Attachments

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
That's unfortunate they installed aftermarket axles, probably through away your original OEM green inner cup axles that would have lasted the life of the vehicle if cleaned/greased/rebooted.

I can't see a definitive leak point. There's no fluid residue by the axle oil seal in the trans?

That's passengers side right - so it won't be the ATF lines.

Valve covers, head gaskets need thoroughly and closely inspected. If you can take pictures of those areas - the rear bottom corners of the valve covers and the headgasket to engine block mating surfaces we might see something?

Oil can drip and blows back onto the crossmember and then eventually the y pipe. Are you positive it's not coming from the crossmember or further forward of the trans/axles?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,823 Posts
^^^

to me, the diff oil smells much more rank than engine oil - and even more noticeable difference when hot.

you might use the 2 dipsticks, collect a sample of each fluid, stick a heated nail held in pliers in each fluid to confirm what you're smelling.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i 4 inch ADF lift 215/70/16 BFG's Sparco Wheels
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are supposed to be Subaru factory rebuilds from the dealer. Would all have a green band ?
This guy is a retired Subaru mechanic and swears by nothing but Subaru parts
If that?s the case I will bust his arse about it
I jacked it up today and it?s the axle seal or the drain plug on the transaxle
It also has leaked onto the driveway

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts