Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing the oil last week on my wife's 2015 Outback 3.6R (20K miles), I noticed some type of fluid leakage in the vicinity of where the differential and transmission bell housing meet. The leakage is very slight, to the point that nothing hits the garage floor overnight and there was no obvious drop forming as I inspected it closely. I know that it does result in a drop or two every once in a while because the downwind transmission pan shows evidence of an oil film on it. The fluid has no odor or apparent color. It is an oil of some type though. The axle seals on the diff don't look like they're leaking. There is some staining and residue around the bottom of the bell housing where you can see the flywheel and torque converter.

Anyone have any ideas? CVT leak? I do plan on taking the car in, but was curious if others have experienced the same with their 3.6R with the heavy duty CVT.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Legacy
68 Posts
It's probably the seal between front diff and transmission. They seep over time.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
There is a TSB for leaking oil pump covers (inside the bell housing) for the G1 CVT mated to the 3.6 engine in Legacy and Outback. Your dealer's service department should know where to look, and it should be covered under the now 10 year/100,000 mile CVT warranty.

See TSB 16-103-16R - Transmission Fluid Seepage

N.B. This TSB does not apply to the G2 CVT in the 2.5 Legacy/Outback, which is a totally different design and doesn't have an oil pump cover in the bell housing.

Reactions: provels

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a TSB for leaking oil pump covers (inside the bell housing) for the G1 CVT mated to the 3.6 engine in Legacy and Outback. Your dealer's service department should know where to look, and it should be covered under the now 10 year/100,000 mile CVT warranty.

See TSB 16-103-16R - Transmission Fluid Seepage
Thank you. That's got to be it.

·
Registered
'15 OB 3.6 Limited - Tungsten Metallic
91 Posts
Same exact issue with our '15 3.6 at about the same mileage. Make sure to have the dealer check how much oil leaked before they fix the seal. If leak was significant I would press them to replace the entire tranny. SOA knows this tranny is garbage so shouldn't be a hard sell.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
553 Posts
I have it too, on my '15 3.6R, but my dealer told me it was the from the front diff plug (it isn't). I took mine in just a few weeks before I learned about the TSB.

Please let me know what your dealer says.

·
Registered
91 Posts
~1.5 million cars 10 years/100 miles please don't say this is SOA way of spreading the LOVE

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have it too, on my '15 3.6R, but my dealer told me it was the from the front diff plug (it isn't). I took mine in just a few weeks before I learned about the TSB.

Please let me know what your dealer says.
i highly doubt its from the diff plug but i'm no mechanic. I would take it to another dealer and mention the bulletin.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
553 Posts
i highly doubt its from the diff plug but i'm no mechanic. I would take it to another dealer and mention the bulletin.
Oh, I know. Yours looks just like mine and I've worked on cars enough to know that leaks don't go up, at least not forward and 8" up into the bellhousing area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
After a drive parked the outback in the garage and immediately noticed the smell of burning oil. Second time oil is leaking from the tranny or engine. See attached. Car is in the dealer and waiting for a response. Will update.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Legacy
68 Posts
There could be a hairline crack where the overflow drain plug threads in. There is an updated drai plug that has longer threads

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Any update?
Got our Outback yesterday. Leak was result of a defective axle seal.

So to date:
1. Defective Engine Seal
2. Defective CVT transmission pump seal
3. Defective Axle Seal

FYI, I have about 30k miles on this car. Wife's daily driver.. at this point not comfortable having her driving it around so its garaged while SOA figures this s*** out. Picking up a new car for her this weekend. Looking into possible legal action. I'll keep updating.

·
Registered
91 Posts
While changing the oil last week on my wife's 2015 Outback 3.6R (20K miles), I noticed some type of fluid leakage in the vicinity of where the differential and transmission bell housing meet. The leakage is very slight, to the point that nothing hits the garage floor overnight and there was no obvious drop forming as I inspected it closely. I know that it does result in a drop or two every once in a while because the downwind transmission pan shows evidence of an oil film on it. The fluid has no odor or apparent color. It is an oil of some type though. The axle seals on the diff don't look like they're leaking. There is some staining and residue around the bottom of the bell housing where you can see the flywheel and torque converter.

Anyone have any ideas? CVT leak? I do plan on taking the car in, but was curious if others have experienced the same with their 3.6R with the heavy duty CVT.
Any updates on your Subaru? Make sure to contact Subaru directly ([email protected]) and file a complaint with NHTSA (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/). Even with the extended warranty on the '15 the issues w/ our CVT are bound to show up again past 100K miles. Document, document, document. Doesn't hurt to protect your investment!

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,166 Posts
Heh, NHTSA? How does a weeping seal present a safety hazard, or am I missing something?

Haven't noticed anything like this under my vehicle with 43k.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Taken from the propeller drive shaft recall on some of these Outbacks. "If the transmission fluid leaks onto an exhaust pipe, there is a possible risk of
fire"

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,166 Posts
Well that's not what I thought was being discussed here. Very old news, didn't affect many vehicles AFAIK, and doesn't appear to have anything to do with the OP. Haven't seen any discussion of it in years, so I still see no evidence of this mysterious safety hazard that Subaru has yet to sort out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well that's not what I thought was being discussed here. Very old news, didn't affect many vehicles AFAIK, and doesn't appear to have anything to do with the OP. Haven't seen any discussion of it in years, so I still see no evidence of this mysterious safety hazard that Subaru has yet to sort out.
you asked what risk a leaking seal could present. by the date on letter its obvious the recall is old news. i tried to connect the dots for you as easily as possible using Subaru's own words. but let me simplify a bit more for you

leaking seal = oil burn = possible fire, said Subaru

hope this helps

1 - 20 of 37 Posts