Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gives? I have bought a 2000 OB with supposedly bad head gasket and decided today to move it into my garage for tear-down (about a mile away). I knew though that cooling system is empty since I drained water!!! from the reservoir tank so I decided to fill it with coolant since I didn't want to drive it with empty system - I have poured about half the bottle into the radiator when I noticed a leak coming from the front of the engine - from under the timing belt cover - right smack in the middle. I'm suspecting now that either water pump is bad or even worse, that engine block is cracked (system might of been filed with aqua by the PO... with bad water pump gasket or bad water pump would it leak when cold??? I'm gonna tear it apart in about a week - will move into warm garage but I'd like to know now what to expect - and either get a new water pump with timing belt which I was going to replace anyway or start looking for a replacement, used engine??? look at the pic...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
Given the orientation of the fluid running out of the cover, I would say the water pump is toasted at the bearing or the gasket is leaking. The fluid would run down from the WP and then down toward the CS pulley since the cover has a downward slope toward the CS. And if it is a good size gap, yes it will just run out.

Probably not a head gasket issue unless they ran it hot enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, and I was debating just a couple of days ago if I should order a new water pump and replace it while replacing a timing belt... now... if I tear it apart to replace timing belt and water pump and later find out that head gasket is bad as well... wouldn't that be a b.i.t.c.h.

tear-down over the next weekend...

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
Well, and I was debating just a couple of days ago if I should order a new water pump and replace it while replacing a timing belt... now... if I tear it apart to replace timing belt and water pump and later find out that head gasket is bad as well... wouldn't that be a b.i.t.c.h.

tear-down over the next weekend...

:rolleyes:
You would be tearing the front apart anyway to repair gaskets, so getting the parts for the front overhaul isn't wasting cash.

Its a toss up to go full blown or not. 2 hours for a front overhaul vs a few days with machine shop work. Take your chances????? Its only 2 hours extra if you go back in. :) You know that water pump is original if its leaking or its been replaced and has a paper gasket. Fork.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, water pump might well be original. This baby, if the odo is correct, has roughly about 275,000 miles on it. IMHO it's about time for a major overhaul. I'll go with the timing belt and new water pump for starters... and see what the rest looks like once I tear the front apart. Nothing but fun!

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Leaking when running, or just sitting there?

Picture is hard to see, but it looks like it is dripping from higher up, like the upper radiator hose, based on the drips on the tensioner.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't look at the drips on the tensioner - it was just me being sloppy - there is a strong leak just under the pulleys, from under the timing belt cover, right smack in the middle of the engine... coolant runs (not really drips) while engine is not running - I wrote initially that I just wanted to fill the system with coolant before starting the engine... halfway through the bottle of coolant I noticed the leak and I stopped filling it.

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
I assume you did this, but thought I would ask anyway... Did you take a look at this leak from underneath?

I saw/fixed a leak that looks very similar on a 2000 Legacy; which was a small 1-1.5" diameter couple inches long rubber hose that went from the water pump to (I think) one of the heater core tubes. Had a split where the hose clamp was.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't looked underneath yet... would have to take down the engine cover. And I need a warm garage for that... but I will check for that first - want to make sure I run it to verify that head gasket is indeed gone.

long story.

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
I keep forgetting about that hose. It runs from the bottom of the pump to the oil cooler at the filter. Its a possible. The flow is in the right spot for either one.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not sure if you guys noticed but that yellow thing on the radiator hose is a wire... plain, yellow wire keeping the lower hose on... ingenuity - this should be submitted into the "Hillbilly fixes" hall of fame... or shame... Tickle would be proud!

lol

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
not sure if you guys noticed but that yellow thing on the radiator hose is a wire... plain, yellow wire keeping the lower hose on... ingenuity - this should be submitted into the "Hillbilly fixes" hall of fame... or shame... Tickle would be proud!

lol
Yeah, but it couldn't be the cause of the leak as it is on the thermostat housing which would put the run under the hose; and you (I) would assume that when the repairs are made, new clamps would be installed on all the hoses and any worn hoses would be replaced, so the yellow wire was mute.

The bolts are going to be an issue with all the rust. I would be soaking that engine in PB Blaster for a few days before tear down.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's not an issue... once I get into my warm garage I'll take my time...

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, bolts were an issue.. Timing belt cover bolts had rusted heads and so I had a bit of difficulty getting these undone but - Water pump has been replaced - it was leaking real bad... and now question - I'd like to get the new timing cover bolts - is the dealer the only choice for these or can I source them from another place?

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
96 Posts
Mine is leaking also and the dealer is claiming air bubbles in the system. Only problem is you can smell coolant....

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In my case I could also smell coolant.. but it was very obvious that it was leaking - you couldn't miss it - even on cold engine and not running it would leak from the water pump area if I tried filling up the radiator.

Done... Now need to put the timing belt back on, and put the rest together...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts