Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza Outback Sport EJ22
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there I'm new here,
I have a 99 Impreza Outback sport, automatic, AWD, EJ22 237,000 miles. I had the transmission replaced (56,000 miles 1 year warranty) about 3 weeks ago and not even 1 week later I notice I'm leaking fluid. There's coolant coming from the top left of the engine, there's a little pool of fluid and it's also dripping from underneath. It doesn't over heat, my oil isn't milky and I don't have smoke coming from the exhaust. I believe that rules out a head gasket. The only other thing I could think of was the water pump but my mechanical skills/knowledge are limited to changing oil and tires. Can anyone help me out with info? Also what other problems can I expect from this vehicle at this high of mileage?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
well, first thing first, check some things with the engine running.

Did you look up at the hood? If its also staining the hood, its a pressurized leak and might give you a hint.

After the engine has warmed up, try revving the engine at the throttle body a little to see if it starts spraying out somewhere, like the plastic parts of the radiator.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
wait

transmission?

theres a couple of smaller cooling lines around there, aren't there?

·
Registered
1999 Impreza Outback Sport EJ22
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Mad Mallard,
No leaks in the hoses and no residue on the inside of the hood. I couldn't really tell you about the cooling lines. I'm a noob when it comes to cars. My friend has been trying to get me into it for the longest time. He's also going to take a look at it this weekend but he keeps telling me to join a forum to learn.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
okay. I had a coolant leak on my 2.5 outback

it wasn't the upper or lower hose, though. It was a coolant return line that was a smaller rubber hose on the left side of the engine that had to do with the transmission cooling. I'd check that too, at your car's age.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
You should just go to Advanced Auto and rent [no charge] their coolant pressurizing system. You take off the radiator cap, attach the fitting, and pump up the pressure to 15 psig. I can almost guarantee that you will find a pool of coolant leaking onto the floor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts