Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon 2.5 Auto
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took some photos. I was out at the store, and smelled gas. Looked under the hood, and saw the part showed in the photo was soaked! I don't know what that part is even called?

Or if its the hose. I smelled gas on the way home. I got home, and the part is all dry now?? I don't get it?

2004/2.5 outback

Passenger side top of the motor, under the intake is the part, if thats the intake. Im still learning this motor.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
It's a fuel pressure regulator.

I suspect it is leaking from a rubber line clamp on the side we can't see. Its is rare for the actual FPR device to actually leak...unless it has completely failed inside.

Possible this o-ring #4 is leaking...between the FRP and the fuel rail.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a fuel pressure regulator.

I suspect it is leaking from a rubber line clamp on the side we can't see. Its is rare for the actual FPR device to actually leak...unless it has completely failed inside.

Possible this o-ring #4 is leaking...between the FRP and the fuel rail.
Okay I see the #4 in the photo. I drove 15 minutes home and it was dry and not damp. Kinda odd.
I tightened the clamps up anyhow. I drove it again and it’s bone dry now.
But it dried up by the time I got home before tightening the clamps.
I’ll keep an eye on it.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
i had that issue when it was below 0. replaced the small hoses and clamps and my leak was fixed
That was my 1st thought.

Those band clamps are installed at assembly. That fuel injection soft/rubber line gets very hard with age. They are a pita to get to sometimes...often tightening the clamps temporarily help. But replacing with proper high pressure fuel injection line is the way to go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had that issue when it was below 0. replaced the small hoses and clamps and my leak was fixed
Yeah it just got cold out lastnight and this morning and that’s when it did it. Was fine all summer. The clamps were kinda loose. Although it did stop leaking on its own, during the drive home. So I tightened them anyhow.

That was my 1st thought.

Those band clamps are installed at assembly. That fuel injection soft/rubber line gets very hard with age. They are a pita to get to sometimes...often tightening the clamps temporarily help. But replacing with proper high pressure fuel injection line is the way to go.
I did see they are NOT fun to get to. I’ll eventually replace the hoses with good quality clamps. I can’t see how to actually replace them without ripping everything apart

·
Registered
02 OBW 2.5 and 2012 OBW 2.5
63 Posts
the small hose is part number 807707130 and is like $7
buy the clamps from Subie too
these are only a few bucks and they will last a long time and won't cut into the hose when you tighten it

you need to take the manifold off, but it's pretty easy to do, use a razor knife to cut the old hose off, you might get lucky and be able to get them on without taking the manifold off, but i took it off because the gap between the pipes is only about 3/8 of an inch

·
Registered
02 OBW 2.5 and 2012 OBW 2.5
63 Posts
That was my 1st thought.

exactly, if you tighten them, they will still leak when it's cold. The rubber is just too hard and it's lifed out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the small hose is part number 807707130 and is like $7
buy the clamps from Subie too
these are only a few bucks and they will last a long time and won't cut into the hose when you tighten it

you need to take the manifold off, but it's pretty easy to do, use a razor knife to cut the old hose off, you might get lucky and be able to get them on without taking the manifold off, but i took it off because the gap between the pipes is only about 3/8 of an inch
Thank you I appreciate the number. I was hoping to not have to remove the manifold. Still new to this car, yikes!
I’ll be doing my timing belt this weekend coming up. I watched about 10 YouTube clips.. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts