Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rain water entering a couple of places in my 2013 Premium Outback. This usually happens after big rainfalls.
- Sunglass holder area on the ceiling. This could imply either a leak from the sunroof or windscreen. I'm guessing sunroof
- Lifting hatch back water comes in through the thick plastic housing at the top inside of the hatchback, also leaking from there without opening the hatch.

Any ideas on repairs for this. Really appreciate any help.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,377 Posts
search the forum for:
sunroof drain tubes
and
rear brake light water leak

Those are very likely your solutions.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
Noel Barnes.

The tailgate leak is the gasket around the third brake light. Pull it, remove its gasket, and replace it with plumber's dum dum/putty. After the leak occurred in my 2012, this solved my issue.

The sunroof leak to the overhead map lights is of two possible culprits. The plastic drain tubes are plugged/ have split from the metal drain tube end at each corner of the sunroof channel (one or more of them), or the plastic drain tubes have simply come off.

Open the roof fully and you can push a wire down the front drain tubes at each corner, or put a tube connected to an air compressor into each drain opening and blow out the debris, or pull the headliner down and reattach the drain tubes.

Be aware that the dual sunroof OBW's from 2000 to 2004? had misplaced body sealant down the sides and front curved corners of the FRONT sunroof opening (the metal roof skin, where it folds down into the interior of the car). The sealant would spider crack and water would wick into the metal roof structure, collect and run down into the map light area to drip on driver and passenger on turns. That fix was to open the sunroof, scuff up the fold down metal of the front sunroof opening, and seal it with a thin coat of 5 minute epoxy, and paint it as an option. My 2002 had this issue and I fixed it this way myself. Just be sure to allow the epoxy to fully cure before shutting the sunroof ... because .... Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts