Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. New to the board.....I currently have a 2003 OBW that I bought used about a month ago. After a few heavy rains, I noticed that the rear tail lights took on some water. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any fixes I can try myself? Thanks for your help/suggestions.

·
Registered
MY2016 Outback Premium
78 Posts
I feel your pain. I have a 00 OBWL with the same malady. When I open the hatch after a hard rain or washing water leaks out of the hatch. I have discovered that it is actually coming out of the lowest light bulb hole on both side. If I open the flap doors it pours out. This is with the hatch open of course. If I keep the flaps closed it trickles down the interior of the hatch and spills into the cargo area. I have asked this a few times here and there, but nobody has an answer. I took apart the hatch partially to inspect this past weekend, but since I didn't have a deep 8mm sockt I couldn't take the tail light assembly apart. My thoughts are that there are drain holes at the bottom of the fixtures that are clogged. I just can't seen to get to them. I am taking my car to the dealer tommorrow for my 105 CU and I am going to ask them to look at it. I will post back if I get a suitable answer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any news from the dealer? I'm curious because I'm going to be bringing mine in soon to the dealer. Let me know....

·
Registered
2 Posts
jdk leaky lightbar,

I want to tackle the same problem with my 2000 legacy hatch door. Here in the snow country the latch becomes rusty and reluctant. Before I clean it up I want to know how to fix the leak. What solution did you find?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
Winestone color MY2000 Std OBW
6 Posts

·
Registered
MY2016 Outback Premium
78 Posts
Revisiting the leaky lightbar

New update. I originally took the lightbar apart per instruction and thought I had the problem fixed until we had a few nasty storms. It was better, but not totally. So I disasembled the unit again and noticed that the seal looked cracked around the outer top edges. I then proceeded to run a bead of sealant (black stuff from the auto store) along the seal (just the top), and it appears the problem has been completely solved. We had a couple of storms the weekend and no leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Charles,

Thanks for your reply. I have bought some clips to put the upholstery back in position and am going to tackle the problem as soon as I get some free time.

Ben

·
Registered
2000 Outback limited
5 Posts
oh gosh i have the same problem but i bought a use cover and im going to swap that out while i try to mend my original one (looks better but has a crack from the top to bottom)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an 02 OBW. When I bought it, it had a completely rusted out right rear brake light socket. Also noticed that the light had a crack about halfway down. I assumed that this was the source of the leak. Went to a junkyard
and bought another light lens and pigtail(with a good socket). Everything works fine now.

So now I read this thread and I wonder if this is actually fixed. Another
big clue...when it rained heavy the other day I raised the hatch to put
the groceries in the back. Water came running out of some "flaps" on the
hatchback interior panel. See attached pix. So how is water getting in
the hatchback door????

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts