Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Had my 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited for almost a week so far and loving it! It’s during this period with a new car that I start putting together my vehicle care regimen. I have the exterior figured out, now it’s time for interior and the body cladding.

This leather feels different than what I’m used to on my previous cars (all Fords). It feels pretty soft and durable. What do y’all use? I was thinking maybe a good cleaner and conditioner, but thumbing through the owners manual, it says to used a damp cloth to wipe it up and only use a cleaner for stains and spills. Hmm..

As for the body cladding, that’s a TON of black plastic that can fade over time. I was thinking either Mother’s Back to Black or Aerospace 303. Thoughts?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
630 Posts
I started out using chemical guys leather conditioner and cleaner- but I just had the leather surfaces coated in some SB3 leather protectant. its good for alittle over a year, being as I have a toddler who climbs all over the rear seat I figured it was worth the investment. I am going to be purchasing some 303 protectant for the dash and door surfaces as I'm not TOO impressed with the chemical guys products I have used in the past on my vehicles.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
203 Posts
For all the plastic stuff > Meguiar's LIQUID Ultimate Wax. NOT the paste.

Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone used spray waxes? I’ve used Optimim Car Wax in the past and it’s a really good wax. It says it’s also safe to use over plastic trim because it has UV protectants in it. So...spray wax for everything for ease of use or spray wax for paint and then 303 for trim?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6r Limited
15 Posts
Has anyone used spray waxes? I’ve used Optimim Car Wax in the past and it’s a really good wax. It says it’s also safe to use over plastic trim because it has UV protectants in it. So...spray wax for everything for ease of use or spray wax for paint and then 303 for trim?
I have tried a spray wax - wasn't a fan. I feel it takes less time and you have more control over the wax if it is a paste.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, package #2 & 24
27 Posts
This guy is a hoot but if you believe his claim over 99% of auto leather is coated in plastic and therefore does not benefit from leather conditioning products, he uses Woolite (1 part) to 5 parts water.

·
Registered
2016 OB 2.5i Limited
88 Posts
After trying a lot of different leather cleaners, but sticking with diluted simple green for the longest time, and trying various leather conditioners and plastic treatments, I would HIGHLY recommend:

Leather cleaner: Ammo Leather cleaner, or diluted simple green (don't let the simple green sit for too long, just to be safe. Also works on pretty much all interior panels, plastics and can be sprayed on carpets then lightly scrubbed and vacuumed away to give them a quick freshening up)

Leather conditioner: Ammo Mousse.

Interior panel / dash protectant: 303 if you must use something, but I've had great results from simply giving panels a regular wipe down with a damp towel. Modern plastics don't need the moisturizers and UV protectants quite like older vinyl panels did.

Exterior plastics: Ammo Mud. Sold as a tire gel, when used lightly it does wonders for the polyolefin plastic cladding used on the Outbacks. Gave a very nice healthy look, without being too shiny or greasy, brought life back to my bumper protector panel, and made them noticeably easier to clean and more resilient to dirt and mud stains.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5 No eyesight package/no navi
177 Posts

I tried turtle wax spray wax in between washes. It works well and it makes the water bead up every time. I will still continue to do my waxes twice a year. Griot's garage makes some decent products. I have used a few including their buffer.

As others have stated, 303 is simply the best on plastic interior and exterior.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts