Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OB has 9,200 miles on it and yesterday I find a small hole in my Leather seat (the "wing" nearest the drivers door), has anyone else dealt with this?

Vince

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
Not this specifically, but my 2008 Legacy GT had a cracking e-brake and shifter boot the first winter I had it. Took it in and they replaced both under warranty.

I'd take it in and have it noted. Worst case, they'll have an upholstery shop fix it. But at least you'll have it documented if the repair doesnt' stick. Best case, they'll order a new seat bottom and swap it out for ya.

Either way it should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Steel Silver Metallic, Limited , Moonroof
125 Posts
yeah I have got 23k on mine and no holes, but I do have some lumps under the "leather" bolster closest to the drivers door. I am not a slight man but I havent seen undue wear. I second the idea of taking it to the dealer. I know that they sometimes get bull-headed about covering "wear" items like seats, but at 9k it is not normal to have seats cracking like that. good luck.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The damage is caused by the way you enter and leave the driver seat.
Do you wear a belt or something else on your waist that rubs in that area?
10,000 miles on mine and no wear issues.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Agree unless it is a flaw in the leather you are rubbing it and wearing that spot. I have seen this in a lot of other cars too based on how people exit and enter their car...

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Common place to wear on all cars especially taller cars with short drivers. You should see the driver side edge on our Sequoia. Looks like an army of butt draggers sporting sand paper went through the truck starting at the driver side door.

The lower seat cover can be replaced for pretty cheap when the times comes. I still need to order one for our Sequoia just keep forgetting to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 Outback and noticed the leather ripping on the side of the driver's seat by the driver door. I am not happy about it. I took it to the dealer today and am waiting to hear a response. I love my car, but this is why I didn't want leather and am angry that it is ripping already even though I have taken very good care of the car.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
My OB has 9,200 miles on it and yesterday I find a small hole in my Leather seat (the "wing" nearest the drivers door), has anyone else dealt with this?

Vince
Wife has snagged her purse (watch, jewelry, or something) on it on the passenger side. Lots of ugly little white holes in the vinyl on that side. No leather damage though.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
Common place to wear on all cars especially taller cars with short drivers. You should see the driver side edge on our Sequoia. Looks like an army of butt draggers sporting sand paper went through the truck starting at the driver side door.

The lower seat cover can be replaced for pretty cheap when the times comes. I still need to order one for our Sequoia just keep forgetting to do it.
My lifted 2003 Tundra has ~43K on it.

Looks brand new, except for that spot on the (cloth) seat that's been warn from getting in and out.

I'd really like to retrofit it with leather.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Not this specifically, but my 2008 Legacy GT had a cracking e-brake and shifter boot the first winter I had it. Took it in and they replaced both under warranty.

I'd take it in and have it noted. Worst case, they'll have an upholstery shop fix it. But at least you'll have it documented if the repair doesnt' stick. Best case, they'll order a new seat bottom and swap it out for ya.

Either way it should be covered under warranty.
Not likely. Most likely it will be considered "damage" which isn't covered.

Still, I'd love to see them fix it for free anyway.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Are you sure it's leather? Most "leather" seats only have strips of real leather; sides are plastic. Not sure about 2012 but 2013 saddle brown "leather" is just the perforated center piece. All sides are color matched plastic/vinyl!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2019 Ascent Touring .... SOLD : 2015 Outback 3.6 w/ES. 18 Crosstrek, 04 Jeep Liberty Columbia. SOLD-13 Outback 2.5 SAP. Traded-10 2.5i Legacy Limited.
237 Posts

Vince
My 10 Legacy leather cord around this area became worn thru in like 7000 miles and the dealer replaced the back of the seat under warranty. :29: Believe he said it was like $2000. for the back but that was to replace not recover.

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took it to West Houston Subaru today and showed the service-writer the seat and the rear bumper corner molding that has "relaxed" leaving a gap between it and the body. He said "I'll order the parts today".

I love that place!

Vince

1 - 14 of 14 Posts