Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brace that the rear sway bar bracket was attached to broke on the left side of my 05 OB. Had it welded a couple of years ago but broke again. So is it ok to drive with the sway bar attached with only one bracket or should I just take the sway bar off? At the moment I'm driving with it still on and it sometimes sounds clunky when hitting bumps.
Not an off-road driver.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,809 Posts
If it is clunking, it is hitting something. Try taking off the other link ans see if you can tie the end(s) of the bar up to something so that it doesn't swing dow. if you can tie it up, remove it. All you will notice in driving is more roll and push when taking corners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply.
When you say "try taking off the other link", do you mean the bracket on the other side or the end links? Also since one side is still attached with a bracket, its not really dropping down. But will see if i can attach the broken side to something.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,809 Posts
Have to admit that I don't know just how your sway bar is mounted and hooked up ( heck, I haven't even looked at mine yet!), but in any case, the idea is to keep it from moving with the suspension and anchored/tied up in a manner that it cannot hit/be hit with normal suspension movement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, to clarify, the end-links are still good and are attached. It's just one side (left side) where the sway bar is usually being held up by a bracket is broken. So the sway bar is only held up by one bracket (right side). If there is any movement it is from the end-link of the broken bracket side. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
OK. What is happening is that as the suspension on either side of the car moves, the bar (or the broken bracket) is moving to where it hits the chassis, making the clunking sound you hear.

Sounds best to dismount the whole bar until a fix for the bracket can be determined.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts