Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do people generally recommend upgrading the fog lights before the high and low beams? To me, the fogs seem to be the least used lights.

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
655 Posts
Dont listen to those people. They don't know what they are talking about. You can't just drop ledo or HID bulbs in a halogen housing and get good output that is safe for you and everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,369 Posts
I've never seen someone explicitly make such a recommendation. For those of us with stock HID or LED projectors, however, some folks have put LEDs in the fogs simply to match the headlight CCT. I'm also in the camp that would never consider modifying halogen projectors with HID or LED. But I did put LEDs in my fogs, and they now put out a lot more useable light. I took the time to adjust them so they were aimed nice and low to be sure I'll never annoy other drivers (pretty minimal hazard there, IMO, since they're mounted so low to begin with and the units I used retained a nice sharp cutoff), but I generally leave them off anyway. They're now very handy in certain limited-visibility situations, such as narrow woods roads.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
420 Posts
id say its purely cosmetic- i installed LEDs in my fogs on my 5th gen outback. why? they look better than the halogen bulbs with the OEM LED headlights. why wouldnt you? also there isnt much to do as far as upgrading lighting in the car- swap the puddle lights to LED? upgrade the reverse lights to a brighter LED? upgrade the vanity lights? all done. the OEM headlight bulbs i havent touched and if there is a better and brighter bulb out there for the factory LED housings then id buy it, but i havent come across one yet or seen anyone swap in anything else.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is a 2016 Premium, so I don't have LED headlights. And I've thought about upgrading, but probably won't.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Mine is a 2016 Premium, so I don't have LED headlights. And I've thought about upgrading, but probably won't.
that may be why you might see more threads about upgrading fog lights... if there are cars that already have the LED headlights from the factory that can't be upgraded.. or maybe HID low beams already.

you could do the work to fit H9 instead of H11 bulbs in the low beam... that's a good modification - ups the output from 1300 lumens to about 2100 lumens, and it's just another halogen (inexpensive bulbs too).

likewise, you can modify a 9011 bulb and fit it instead of the 9005 bulbs for the high beams (I did this even with the Gen5 cars with the HID bulbs as low beams)... good improvement. most 9011 are not true HIR bulbs, but they meet most of the specs. Here is an older thread about it...

Those two modifications keep the halogen type bulbs, and you've got brighter light.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2017 Premier
20 Posts
I made a lot of searches for that.

I have a 20173.6 Premium

For DRLs :
Socket is 9005. Because it's DRLs + High beams combined you need to get a low power lightning LED wich is activated at 6 watts - 24 watt range. Actually, a lot of LED lights are activated at 9 v and more.
there's a model : https://ledenligne.com/products/led-special-fonctionnant-sur-6v-24volts?_pos=1&_sid=c13713e63&_ss=r&fbclid=IwAR1i6Iv-jrA_pJ118kSzdUA7kO0rSeq2dMVd-ktoNttJ0FU2OmU0zn0KDig

With this product, low beam and high beam function are distinctive instead of some other LED product who stay on like high beam even if you're on low beam.

BUT

You need to add an anti flickering module called a Canbus. The role of this is to prevent a “bulb out” indication in areas such as tail, brake, and running lights. If you use a standard LED bulb that is not a CAN Bus application, you would consistently get a “bulb out” dashboard indicator because your system can’t communicate with a standard LED bulb.

Fogs
H11 socket needed.
You have some LEDs with or without a fan. Because it's underneath, fan can be messedup by dirt. But I think this area is almost clean so you can use a fan/LED light.

If you choose a non fan/LED light, note that they are less bight and they loose approx. 30% of their lightning to prevent burningafter 15-20 mins of use.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2017 Premier
20 Posts
for fogs, be carefull,.... watch the websites because the socket seems to be different between Eyesight and w/o Eyesight models... H11 are for Eyesight models

1 - 11 of 11 Posts