Subaru Outback Forums banner

LED DRL Setup

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SuperSingh 
#1 ·
Bought myself a set of these DRL's

My question is what's the best way to wire them up?

I want to use them in the daylight but have the option to turn them off at night or when I turn on the headlights/fogs

I'll be installing them tomorrow afternoon so let me know!

P.S - I'll put up pictures too :D

#2 · (Edited)
Bought myself a set of these DRL's

My question is what's the best way to wire them up?

I want to use them in the daylight but have the option to turn them off at night or when I turn on the headlights/fogs

I'll be installing them tomorrow afternoon so let me know!

P.S - I'll put up pictures too :D
Several of us have installed the 8 LED version of this, including Jogosub and me, who both have '13 model OBs. Just a heads up - on our cars the module didn't work because we have automatic headlights. We had to call Philips to order a replacement control module, which was shipped free of charge. The symptoms include the LEDs flashing on and off slowly when the headlights are off. I'd suggest testing yours before you permanently install everything.

I didn't put a switch on mine, so I can't help you with that. They automatically dim when the headlights are on, and that is good enough for me.

Good luck. Just follow the instructions; that's what I did.

Edit: One more thing - I suggest you read all the reviews on the Amazon and Philips web sites. There are some useful warnings and suggestions. And there's even a YouTube video showing how to put them in, although I don't know the URL

#4 ·
Would the module apply to my 97?

SuperSingh: You cannot turn them off, when you put headlights on although there might be a way to do it. Rather than that, you can dim them, when headlights come on by tapping into "parking light" wiring circuit. Follow my installation instructions on "Philips 8 LED DRL" post with step-by-step instructions and pictures.
Thanks a lot for the write-up. I'll surely use that. :)

#3 ·
SuperSingh: You cannot turn them off, when you put headlights on although there might be a way to do it. Rather than that, you can dim them, when headlights come on by tapping into "parking light" wiring circuit. Follow my installation instructions on "Philips 8 LED DRL" post with step-by-step instructions and pictures.

#5 ·
I tried the original module first, to find out if it was bad or not. I think Philips prefers you to do this. Anyway, the story is that the cars where the module doesn't work are those with automatic headlights - those that automatically turn on the headlight when it gets dark. I don't know if that is a feature of a 97. If not, you should be OK. If you install the first module and it doesn't work right, you can just call them and the revised module arrives in a couple days.

#6 ·
I'm going to attempt the DRL Setup this weekend and I picked up a HID kit as well. It's a 6000k Pure White. Anything to consider when doing a DIY HID conversion?

Thanks

#8 ·
Yea? is there any soldering needed? and is there any place you recommend placing the ballasts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.