Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I still like my good old fashion 'burning' road flares. 4 in each car, buy new every 10 years or so. I haven't had one fail to light yet when needed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got one of these probably 10 years ago from Duluth Trading. Never needed to use it yet, but the only draw-back IMHO, is that they use button batts. Would rather they used AA/AAA.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Got one of these probably 10 years ago from Duluth Trading. Never needed to use it yet, but the only draw-back IMHO, is that they use button batts. Would rather they used AA/AAA.
I won't buy anything like flashlights or something like this that uses button batteries any more. The one in the video does use AAA batteries though. Still, anything with batteries does have the potential to not work when you do need it, along with possible leaking batteries when sitting for very long periods. The regular old burning flares are probably the most reliable. Some kind of warning system is probably a good idea though and something I do not currently carry with me.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Two other things worth mentioning from the video. Those safety hammers can be a life-saver, either for getting yourself out of a car or getting someone else trapped inside of a car. But with many cars now, newer (I think starting in '18) Outbacks included, the front door glass is now laminated and those hammers won't do much good since it will just crack the glass but getting through the layer of plastic between the layers would be very hard to do. If using one of those hammers the rear doors or rear hatch are the best options. I'm not sure how many sunroofs have gone to laminated glass, if any.

Also, I like the idea of the reflective vest. It never occurred to me to carry one in my car but it won't take up much space and is a good idea. I already have a brand new one that we were given at work. I don't use it there because it doesn't have pockets but it would be great to keep handy in the car.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yep. Batteries are unreliable especially when stored in a car interior that can reach over 130F in the summer.

Retroflective triangles are the most reliable (totally passive) and flares are next. Flares are much more visible and more recognizable as warning indicators.

I carry neither. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts