Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
Discussion Starter #1
Because that's what all the cool kids do!

Attachments

Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
I think the headlights on this old girl could use an upgrade. I do sometimes run this after dark.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

Reactions: Danver

Registered
We only have two seasons up here: Winter and Almost Winter. It's almost the end of July and I still have a shovel outside the front door and snow brushes in the Outback. 馃槃

Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
The John Deere lawn tractor I used to own relied on the incandescent headlight globes putting a certain load on the battery to prevent it overcharging. It had a very basic charging system. That鈥檚 about the only thing those headlights were any good for, they weren鈥檛 much good for mowing at night time. I don鈥檛 know if the much lower load of LEDs would cause the battery to overcharge. Perhaps the ride-on in the photos of the first post has a decent charging system.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
The John Deere lawn tractor I used to own relied on the incandescent headlight globes putting a certain load on the battery to prevent it overcharging. It had a very basic charging system. That鈥檚 about the only thing those headlights were any good for, they weren鈥檛 much good for mowing at night time. I don鈥檛 know if the much lower load of LEDs would cause the battery to overcharge. Perhaps the ride-on in the photos of the first post has a decent charging system.
Likely just as primitive, but the lights are switched. It's a 25 year old Toro. I've never been great at analyzing schematics, but here it is. Looks like the lights maybe an isolated circuit?
I had $5 burning a hole in my pocket and an open EBay tab, so...

Reactions: XT-sub

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The one I posted also isn't a Subaru either but it at least has a horizontally opposed engine.

View attachment 489175
Looks very 70's. Who made engine?

EDIT: Found! Visual Search does work!

Registered
Looks very 70's. Who made engine?

EDIT: Found! Visual Search does work!
That looks like the site where I found the engine image in a Google search. Mine is a 1976 Sears 16/6 that I put in a bid for on Ebay about 7 years ago and won. It was at the same location about 3.5 hours away that I had already won the auction for an old Kawasaki snowmobile and I put in a bid for the Sears just because I had room on the trailer for it. I had to look it up just now but I got the Sears for $272.50. These are the pictures from the Ebay Auction at the time:

It came with the straight blade plow, snowblower, and the cab enclosure. That is a fiberglass roof and the windshield is actually glass and has a hand operated windshield wiper. It also had an AM/FM cassette player in it when I got it.馃槃 I really had no interest in old garden tractors at the time but this one just looked fun, and since I was heading there anyway.....

It didn't come with a mower deck but I would kind of like to find one someday, though I haven't looked very hard for one. I did round up a couple of accessories for it, including the three-point hitch and a moldboard plow like this one, though I don't have a picture of mine handy.

I actually used that not long after I got it to reclaim an area of the lawn next to my shop. I had torn down a big wood shed and the ground under and around where it had been was very uneven and overgrown with weeds and full of rocks. I worked the heck out of that old garden tractor and plowed it all up multiple times and then leveled it off with the straight blade plow on the front. Today it looks good and is all grass.

The machine is mostly just a toy for me to play with but I do make use of it. I don't need it for snow removal but I still use it once in a while just to make the job more fun and interesting. The sprockets and chain were in bad shape when I got it and I finally stripped all the teeth off the sprockets last year. I replaced those and at the time noticed a couple of bearings were also getting pretty rough. I think sometime this summer I will go through it and replace all the bearings to get it back to new working condition again.

I think that horizontally opposed Onan engine is what makes it the most interesting. I just love old stuff like this to play with.

Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
Likely just as primitive, but the lights are switched. It's a 25 year old Toro. I've never been great at analyzing schematics, but here it is. Looks like the lights maybe an isolated circuit?
Seeing the head lights can be switched off & it appears to be a separate circuit, my guess is the charging circuit design would have been designed to not overcharge the battery with them off. There could even be a voltage regulator in that box labelled 鈥榤agneto/engine/light coil/alt鈥 in the wiring diagram.

The head lights couldn鈥檛 be switched off on the John Deere LT166 I owned, which had a 3 position ignition switch. But when I did a Google search I came across a wiring diagram that shows a 4 position ignition switch that allows the head lights to be switched off via that switch. Both models had the 16HP Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-twin engine, but the 4 position ignition switch model had a voltage regulator, so that could have been a later model.

I like the Toro, I looked at a lot of different brands before deciding on the John Deere, with the Toro being my next choice.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Same cream and orange color scheme as the Sears tiller I inherited from my Dad. Rebuilt the carb 2 years ago with an EBay kit and runs like new. This place (maybe Lounge) needs an old OPE thread! There I can brag about the 1984 Giant Vac 5HP wheeled blower I found on the curb and fixed up, again with EBay parts. All the neighbors are jealous of that in November.

Reactions: Danver

Registered
Same cream and orange color scheme as the Sears tiller I inherited from my Dad. Rebuilt the carb 2 years ago with an EBay kit and runs like new. This place (maybe Lounge) needs an old OPE thread! There I can brag about the 1984 Giant Vac 5HP wheeled blower I found on the curb and fixed up, again with EBay parts. All the neighbors are jealous of that in November.
That blower sounds like something that would have followed me home as well. 馃槃

Not having a dedicated thread never stops me from posting all of my old stuff. 馃榿 I haven't been reprimanded yet.

I've had to do some work on my 16/6. When I got it someone had replaced the original coil, which had two output plug wires, with two separate coils that look like they were for a Ford or a Jeep. Whoever did it mounted them on top of the exhaust shield with strap and notched the hood to make room for them.

When one of those went bad I looked for an original style replacement and ended up with one from Dennis Kirk that I think was for a Harley motorcycle. I also found a decent used hood to replace the one that was cut up for the coil relocation but so far the original is still on it.

I also had problems with the carburetor that were mostly fixed with a good cleaning. The original float is made from some kind of plastic or fiber material and eventually they can swell up a little and cause it to stick. Mine was doing that and I sanded down a couple of spots where it was hitting the side of the bowl and it mostly fixed the issue. Occasionally it sticks in the fully up position so no fuel can get through the needle valve but a little tap gets it working again. I did find a brass replacement float which I have sitting here in a box somewhere to replace it with but so far it hasn't bugged me enough to pull it back apart.

I also changed the seat because the original was getting pretty bad. That is a John Deere replacement seat from Northern Tool that I bought when it was on clearance. I originally got it for my newer riding mower but kept it when I sold that machine to a neighbor and put it on the 16/6 last fall. It doesn't match the tractor but at least it doesn't soak up water.

Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
we had a john deere 318 lawn tractor and it was amazing it too had an ONAN boxer 2 cyl rated at 19hp

1 - 16 of 16 Posts