Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with 9005 led bulbs in a 2nd gen outback?? I’m just worried about certain ones fitting because of the housings and the heat sink on the back.. also if it fits does the heat sink get enough air flow or enough flow if the headlight has a fan.. just curious.. thanks!!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,317 Posts
the biggest things I like about keeping the typically found long life halogens,

I know they last a long long time,
and they melt the snow and ice off the lenses.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still am going to keep halogen low beams and fog lights I just want brighter led high beams because I drive country roads a lot.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
You won't get any air circulation in there if you plan on reinstalling the sealing cover, so your LED's will likely fail prematurely. Keep in mind that the reflector in your lamp is specifically and uniquely designed for the thin filament of a halogen bulb, and not the thick LED emitter that most cheap Amazon sellers offer. This can and will change the flood pattern of the light. Sylvania Silver Star Ultra bulbs are extremely bright. I have them in mine, and they are going on 2 years. I use the ZXE bulbs in my fogs. They're even brighter. Consider a wiring modification that prevents your fogs from cancelling when you put your high beams on. There's a thread on it somewhere on this site.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
Cannot recommend.

Go with Phillips 9011 H.I.R.1 bulbs. Only takes a few seconds to modify the base to fit.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,711 Posts
Only philips 9011 ? What about osram 9011 ?
Wanna upgrade too. Found osram 9011 hir1 px20d 12v 55w. Those ok? Saw there are 65w too yes? Cant find philips 9011localy

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,806 Posts
HIR1 = 9011 = Replaces 9005 high beam bulb with minor tab modification = 65 watt draw = approximately 2500 lumens (vs 1700 stock) output.

HIR2 = 9012 = Replaces 9006 low beam bulb with minor tab mod = 55 watt draw = approximately 1700 lumens (vs 1200 stock) output.

I've bought the Philips bulbs on-line for various cars in both part numbers and been very happy with them.

I've not seen a HIR1/9011 rated at 55 watts. Either the advertisement copy is wrong, or the output has been derated. Stay clear if you don't know for sure.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,256 Posts
I have the Diode Dynamics LED high beams in my '01. So far very pleased with the extra brightness. However, to mount the lamp and it's ballast in the RH headlamp, I had to modify the headlamp back cover - just flat out could not get everything to fit without a making bit more room for everything.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,711 Posts
i guess just typo error or smt. it is osram 9011 HIR1. now that im thinking i didin't checked what my high beam bulb is . because my low beam is H7. i put those in low beams

cant say that it was big difference like +130% and 40m and what they say. not on outback lenses i guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts