1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2017 Premier
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

i have a 2017 3.5 Premier canadian model

i’ve saw some models with angeleyes only drl....mine i have a nice white angeleyes + a nice (not) yellow drl ( same for fogs)

i consider changing all yellow lights for LED

some sites talk about h11 sockets for fogs( with eyesight?? Whats the différence?)

but for drls and high beam, some is h11, others tells 9005....

What is the good one?
What type of led are you using?

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
425 Posts
nope.. mine came with LED headlights and halogen fogs, messed with my fog lights and swapping bulbs in my fogs a ton. headlights, leaving them alone- theyre great

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,396 Posts
Heh, yeah, plenty of discussion on LED swaps for 2015-2017 DRLs and fogs. Your post is a little difficult to understand - maybe go one at a time with your questions.

I believe the 2017 3.6 (or did you mean 2.5?) typically came with HIDs (not sure if there even was a halogen package). Don't recall what they did for DRLs in those 2017s. I could be totally off, but I thought they ditched the dimmed high beams and made the LED c-light bright enough to function as a DRL (in a very underhanded attempt to give people upgrade fever).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After plenty searches... I got the awnser:

For DRLs :
Socket is 9005. Because it's DRLs + High beams combined you need to get a low power lightning LED wich is activated at 6 watts - 24 watt range. Actually, a lot of LED lights are activated at 9 v and more.
there's a model : https://ledenligne.com/products/led-special-fonctionnant-sur-6v-24volts?_pos=1&_sid=c13713e63&_ss=r&fbclid=IwAR1i6Iv-jrA_pJ118kSzdUA7kO0rSeq2dMVd-ktoNttJ0FU2OmU0zn0KDig

BUT

You need to add an anti flickering module called a Canbus. The role of this is to prevent a “bulb out” indication in areas such as tail, brake, and running lights. If you use a standard LED bulb that is not a CAN Bus application, you would consistently get a “bulb out” dashboard indicator because your system can’t communicate with a standard LED bulb.

Fogs
H11 socket needed.
You have some LEDs with or without a fan. Because it's underneath, fan can be messedup by dirt. But I think this area is almost clean so you can use a fan/LED light.

If you choose a non fan/LED light, note that they are less bight and they loose approx. 30% of their lightning to prevent burningafter 15-20 mins of use.

·
Registered
2017, Premium/ES, 2.5L, Auto Trans
561 Posts
I never heard of a "kit" to replace original lights with LED. I just replaced them individually, based on priority and figuring out what I wanted for things like headlights or turn signals.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,396 Posts
For DRLs :
Socket is 9005. Because it's DRLs + High beams combined you need to get a low power lightning LED wich is activated at 6 watts - 24 watt range...
Just a note on replacing the high beam bulbs with LEDs. Yes, they make some that are tolerant of the reduced voltage present in DRL mode, however, they will continue at the same output they would have in high beam mode. This means you're basically driving around with your high beams on during the day - very obnoxious if you use something with reasonably good output (and if you use low output LEDs, you've rendered your high beams useless).

AFAIK, nobody makes dual output LED bulbs. The FAR better solution is to replace the front turn signal bulbs with switchback LEDs (they function as regular yellow turn signals when needed, but otherwise output a reasonable amount of white light in DRL mode). See this thread:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a note on replacing the high beam bulbs with LEDs. Yes, they make some that are tolerant of the reduced voltage present in DRL mode, however, they will continue at the same output they would have in high beam mode. This means you're basically driving around with your high beams on during the day - very obnoxious if you use something with reasonably good output (and if you use low output LEDs, you've rendered your high beams useless).

AFAIK, nobody makes dual output LED bulbs. The FAR better solution is to replace the front turn signal bulbs with switchback LEDs (they function as regular yellow turn signals when needed, but otherwise output a reasonable amount of white light in DRL mode). See this thread:

Not true... With the products i've bought, I have low beam and high beam distinct fuunction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts