Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,803 Posts
In our Outbacks (I have a 2011 Premium 2.5i), the tiny lamp between the low beam and high beam headlights is a parking/position light only; it is not a DRL. The DRL function is handled by providing a low-voltage (about 9 volts) to the high beam headlights when the low beams are NOT on. The DRLs are supposed to turn off when the low beams are on. In the photos, your lights appear to be nice and bright. I hope the Morimotos did the trick for you. . .

Steve

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,803 Posts
Eric,

Both the low and high beam lamps are illuminated in the 2011 and subsequent year Outbacks until Subaru went with the bi-level projector. Most, if not all state's vehicle codes allow for four foward factory lamps to be illuminated at one time, and the choice for Subaru to have allowed for this makes for great illumination of the roadway at night.

If you are looking for brighter LED headlamps, try those sold by Diode Dynamics or Headlight Revolution. They are generally very good products and produce a lot of light.

Note: LED high beam lamps will not work in the car as DRLs, in that they do not draw enough current through the dropping resistors in the DRL circuit to lessen brightness. The result is that LED DRLs blind on-coming drivers, even during the day.

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts