Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium 5-speed
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m on my second set of LED low-beam bulbs and I’m still not happy with the light output. The first pair were Xenon Depot’s Xtreme LED Pro bulbs. While a significant improvement over the stock halogens, I wasn’t blown away by the brightness. So now I’m trying Morimoto’s 2Stroke 3.0 bulbs. They’re listed with almost 900 more lumens but they seem dimmer, or at least more diffuse.

Now I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong.The daytime running lights never go off. Shouldn’t they go off when the lows or highs are on? The DRLs are separate, tiny bulbs next to the high beams, in my understanding, so it shouldn’t be an issue with not dimming the high-beams, for example.

I’m wondering if the LEDs somehow confuse the system so that the DRLs never go off and the low-beams run at reduced power. Is that possible? (And shouldn’t the low beams go off when the highs are on?)

I’m attaching photos of the lights with the switch in the following modes: Lights off, low beams, high beams.

Thanks in advance.

—Eric S.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Amber Headlamp

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

Bassman: Thanks for setting me straight about parking/position bulbs vs. DRLs. This morning, I looked more closely at which bulbs are on. The parking/position bulbs are always on, whether the DRLs, low beams, or high beams are active. I suppose that's normal. But why are the low beams on when the high beams are active? Shouldn't they be either/or, not both?

PilotXT: Others are more knowledgeable than I, but the lighting companies at least market their DRL drivers as being capable of sending less power to their LED high-beam bulbs.

To be clear, though, I'm not interested in replacing my high beams; the halogens work fine. I'm only replacing my low beams and I'm mainly trying to figure out why the LEDs I've tried aren't very bright. I put Morimoto LEDs in our 2004 Jetta and they're awesome. It's a very different projector, of course, and the low beam and high beam use the same bulb, but I wouldn't have expected this much of a difference in brightness.

--Eric S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Steve. I got the Morimotos through HR, but I see that the GTRs they sell produce nearly 4000 lumens, so I may try those next.

--Eric S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts