Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster but I've used this forum for so many minor fixes and info for my 2013 Outback Premium. While on vacation a over a year ago, a headlight went out. A local Subaru dealer was able to sneak me in for a quick replacement. I learned that replacement requires the technician to access the light from the wheel well. Its gets replaced and off I go. After returning home, I notice that the driver side bumper is not fully attached at the bumper and fender panel. My local dealer is telling me this is a $500 dollar fix. Nothing on the bumper clips appears broken. Could the part underneath it be needing replacement? If so, what is it and how hard is it? Much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,615 Posts
Take it to an independent body shop and see what they have to say. Even if there's a broken clip, unless this involves bent sheet metal or paint, $500 seems high.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Premium Cypress Pearl FB25 PZEV
5 Posts
Both sides of my front bumper cover were sticking out the the little point up the side of the headlight - was driving me crazy! Previous owner had put in HID lights (they are gone now) and not re-seated the bumper correctly. Watched several YouTube videos (search outback bumper removal), and decided that I did not have to take the whole thing off. Removed one clip pin from the top of the wheel well, gave a gentle tug, the cover popped right off. Re-positioned the bumper and popped it back in, replaced clip. Did both sides - took all of 10 minutes if that. Should have done this 4 months ago! Easy peasy did not cost a cent - nothing to lose by giving it a try!

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
583 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
A buddy's wife and sis talked him into trading in a rare classic subaru in great shape over a couple issues that could be remedied with little cost. This was one of them.
The video above looks like all you need.

This happened to my older models when someone backed into them in parking lots. For anyone reading this who has a different year/model that requires fasteners:
Go to Lowes and they have panel clips that might work. Ask for the area with the drawers of bolts and various fasteners. Look in the ones labeled "automotive". They should be there. If not, go to a body shop and ask to buy however many youll need. Remember, It'll help to take one with you that was still attached to get the right kind.

No big deal. DIY Scale = 2

PS: Don't tell the wife about it or they might want you to trade in your perfectly good sube for a pickup or what they think would be an upgrade ...unless you are looking for a reason too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts