Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday of this week we had an introduction to Spring weather with 74 degrees and beautiful warmth. My better half and I took a short drive and opened the sunroof to enjoy the weather. After coming home I parked the car in the lot (condo) and went to fiddle with things in my garage nearby, including pulling my Miata out so I could access some storage items. When I was done I put the Miata away and went upstairs. Thursday the weather had turned much colder and we had around 2" of snow. This morning, Friday, I went out to the garage to get something and since we were going out I decided to clean the Subie off from its snow blanket. Imaging my surprise to see that I'd left the sunroof open since Wednesday! Some snow on the seats and console but thankfully not too much. I figured I'd clean the mess, close the roof and kick myself for being so inattentive. WRONG! Cleaning the snow was simple but closing the roof was not. Initially it closed almost all the way but didn't quite go into to latching up position. I thought it may have been some snow lodged in the forward area and opened it again to clean it out. The second time the roof didn't go even that far and started moving extremely slowly. After a while it would not move at all and I am left with a sunroof about 2" from closed. I decided to pull the Miata out from it's relatively comfortable home and put the Subie in there until I could figure out the problem. Although we have snow the temps haven't been that cold (30-ish) since our pre-Spring day so I doubt I have a freezing issue to deal with. The weather is supposed to get warmer again and any precipitation is supposed to be rain so the next time the sun is out and the temps are above freezing the car will go outside to sit in the sun. In the meantime I will look at the fuse to see if it blew when the current weather pattern gets better. The roof had never been a problem with operation and I have opened it on cold days when the sun was warm enough even if the temps were not, if just for air flow. I'm hoping it's a fuse problem and the operation was only suffering from being wet! Otherwise I'm going to have to find the manual override and permanently disable the switch. :crying:

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to try several options but not until tomorrow when the weather is more cooperative!

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,195 Posts
I concur with the hairdryer option.

One thing is certain - you will never leave a sunroof in the open position again.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
you could take a house sized portable dehumidifer and put it in the hatch,
run the power cord through one of the windows , and masking tape the window shut.

and let it run, ...probably take care of the small space in 2 hours.

_____
a few years back, before I got some dehumidifiers,
I dumped a whole quart jug of water on the carpet,
and I just put the car in a friend's garage overnight that had a hot air furnace.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,026 Posts
...you are not the first nor will you be the last person to leave your sun roof open....I am among the number who have done it too...:frown2:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can take the dig on the roof! I managed to manually close it a little while ago and I'll address the operational issues when the weather improves around here. In the meantime it stays shut! And I also agree about the roof. Going forward, if/when the Subie gets replaced, a sun/moonroof will not be on the list of must haves. For sunshine weather I always have my Miata, and it also has the garage so putting the top up is a secondary thought.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,446 Posts
Some power sunroofs will have an override of some sort. If they get bound up trying to close, or open, they can lose track of where they are. If that happens, it might start to close, think it's at the end, then stop and still be open.

There might be a procedure in the manual on how to reset the open and close limits.

We had a similar situation on a vehicle (Ford Focus) years ago when the sunroof track got a lot of ice in it. I parked the car inside overnight, then reset it the next day.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I think there is a reset procedure, but right now pressing the switch results in nothing, not even an attempt to move. Might be a blown fuse, but I'm not going to worry about it until the weather clears up next week.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,195 Posts
.... Because not many buyers would be willing to cough up another $1,500 for that feature.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They have auto-flush toilets now days, why can't they make rain sensing auto-close sunroofs?
Actually I believe some makers offer rain sensing wipers. I suppose rain sensing sunroof actuators would have merit but if you are so stupid as to leave your roof open, maybe you SHOULD have to deal with the problem!

Wonder who he's talking about!! >:)

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
It's too bad that if you want a Limited or Touring Outback, you are stuck with a sunroof. That's something on my Limited that I never use (other than to open it from time to time to clean around the gaskets and apply some 301 Protectant).

·
Registered
Silver 2012 Outback 2.5i
33 Posts
It could be worse. I once left my Jeep Wrangler outside with top and doors off and a surprise thunderstorm rolled through. It had a couple inches of water on the floor. I had remove all the carpets to let them dry for a couple of days then pull the rubber plugs out of the floor boards to let the water drain. Without carpet in the front the engine heat was pretty warm on my feet. Good news it didn’t hurt the stereo at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, 3.0R Limited, 2.5i Touring
4,644 Posts
Some power sunroofs will have an override of some sort. If they get bound up trying to close, or open, they can lose track of where they are. If that happens, it might start to close, think it's at the end, then stop and still be open.

There might be a procedure in the manual on how to reset the open and close limits.

We had a similar situation on a vehicle (Ford Focus) years ago when the sunroof track got a lot of ice in it. I parked the car inside overnight, then reset it the next day.
My ‘00 Outback Limited (dual sunroof) had an Allen wrench in the toolkit. Why?? To manually close the sunroof in case of some sort of emergency. I don’t believe my Baja or my ‘09 Limited has this but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update!

Checked fuses and all were good. Tried the switch again and discovered I hadn't sent the roof all the way home manually so the "vent" mode wouldn't work, but the open/close did and shut the top the remaining 1/16 of an inch or whatever it needed. No leaks from the rains, just not all the way home. Top works great and the dolt in the drivers seat learned his lesson! I suspect the lack of motion in the first place was the wet cable slipping and since the motor is pretty quiet I just assumed things are dead. Whatever the problem, things are working fine. And now I know how to manually close the roof should the problem ever arise again.

Reactions: SCReagan

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,792 Posts
It could be worse. I once left my Jeep Wrangler outside with top and doors off and a surprise thunderstorm rolled through. It had a couple inches of water on the floor.

Don't feel bad. A college classmate left the top down on his MGB one nice sunny day in May before we went into a 4-hours lab, only to find that it snowed 6 inches while we were in our windowless lab room! :surprise:

Has anyone ever come up with a warning system (a switch of some sort and a buzzer) to warn that a moonroof has been left open?

Of course, here in Indiana I've learned the hard way to roll up my windows every day, even if the forecast is for clear and sunny all day - have come back out of the shop late at night to find that the "sunny" came in the form of water sometime during the day!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,863 Posts
They have auto-flush toilets now days, why can't they make rain sensing auto-close sunroofs?
A few years ago I remember a commercial on TV for a rain sensing sunroof. That was before I had even heard of rain sensing wipers. I don't remember what kind of car it was, maybe Volkswagen? I think there was a cat involved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts