Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6r
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was parked on a steep hill to give a friend a jump-start, had the parking brake and hill assist enabled, and when I was done I *thought I had turned them both off before I put the car into gear and slowly reversed down the drive way, about 15 feet. Needed to pull forward uphill a little to re-direct the car and felt stuck when I pushed the gas for a few seconds. Car didn't want to move. Turns out I did not turn off the parking brake/hill assist like I thought prior to reversing down the hill. So what did I do, grind the rear discs a little prematurely? How come the systems didn't stop me from reversing but prevented me from going forward?

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
I can assure you that no damage was done to your disks in those 15 feet - even if they were engaged (which I doubt, because parking brake is very strong and would not allow you to move). As for the second question, pull out the manual and read the section about parking brake and hill assist. Pay especially close attention to how the use of seatbelt plays a role in disabling those features, and actually go out and test for yourself, with seatbelt fastened and not fastened - once you do that, you will never be caught off-guard on a hill.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6r
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can assure you that no damage was done to your disks in those 15 feet - even if they were engaged (which I doubt, because parking brake is very strong and would not allow you to move). As for the second question, pull out the manual and read the section about parking brake and hill assist. Pay especially close attention to how the use of seatbelt plays a role in disabling those features, and actually go out and test for yourself, with seatbelt fastened and not fastened - once you do that, you will never be caught off-guard on a hill.

Thanks for the response. I'm aware of the seatbelt note from the manual, I guess my concern was after I had reversed partially down the incline w/o issue I realized I was getting too close to some shrubs so I stopped, put the car in D, and then tried to accelerate uphill but the car would not move. I gave it a little gas for a few moments but the car felt like it was stuck in the mud, so the wheels had spun momentarily when the parking brake was engaged. If I had my seatbelt on it would be a moot point I suppose.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
335 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'm aware of the seatbelt note from the manual, I guess my concern was after I had reversed partially down the incline w/o issue I realized I was getting too close to some shrubs so I stopped, put the car in D, and then tried to accelerate uphill but the car would not move. I gave it a little gas for a few moments but the car felt like it was stuck in the mud, so the wheels had spun momentarily when the parking brake was engaged. If I had my seatbelt on it would be a moot point I suppose.
The reverse-to-drive delay might be the normal delay that these cvts have. There is variation among cars, and Subaru's specs are pretty loose (I seem to recall a couple seconds being "normal"), and of course, when you're in a hurry the delay seems longer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts