Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got myself an OB 2005 model. South African spec RH drive and all that.

The left rear door is not responding to either remote input, nor unlocking from the inside. It can only be operated manually.
I also got an ER IU error code on the trip meter. This is for Body Integrated control module.

1) How do I start looking for the fault? I do have moderate DIY skills
2) could the two be related?

Thanks

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
Both rear door lock actuators are connected to the same connection coming out of the BIU, where the keyless entry circuitry is located. So if the right rear door lock works properly, the keyless entry is working as far as the rear doors are concerned.

This suggests that the problem is in the wiring to the left rear door, or in the actuator itself. I would lean, strongly, toward the latter. It's not uncommon. There's quite a few threads here dealing with the same problem; do a search for "door" [and] "lock" in the Title only (use Advanced Search).

The lock/unlock actuator is actually a small DC current motor that, through a worm gear drive, moves a lever that sets, or removes, the door lock. The keyless entry sends DC current to the motor for about 2 seconds to activate it -- whether the motor locks, or unlocks, depends on which way it turns, and this is changed by reversing the polarity of the applied current (voltage)

One thread that might be of particular interest is:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/38841-rear-door-power-lock-failed-fixed.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both rear door lock actuators are connected to the same connection coming out of the BIU, where the keyless entry circuitry is located. So if the right rear door lock works properly, the keyless entry is working as far as the rear doors are concerned.

This suggests that the problem is in the wiring to the left rear door, or in the actuator itself. I would lean, strongly, toward the latter. It's not uncommon. There's quite a few threads here dealing with the same problem; do a search for "door" [and] "lock" in the Title only (use Advanced Search).

The lock/unlock actuator is actually a small DC current motor that, through a worm gear drive, moves a lever that sets, or removes, the door lock. The keyless entry sends DC current to the motor for about 2 seconds to activate it -- whether the motor locks, or unlocks, depends on which way it turns, and this is changed by reversing the polarity of the applied current (voltage)

One thread that might be of particular interest is:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/38841-rear-door-power-lock-failed-fixed.html
Thanks for that. You helped a lot

Cruise control also not switching on. Is CC also controlled by BIU?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to Subaru in Johannesburg the Integrated Unit has the ability to deactivate the cruise control if it see something else bothering.

I will replace the door lock as per Plain OM's post and report back

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Got myself an OB 2005 model. South African spec RH drive and all that.

The left rear door is not responding to either remote input, nor unlocking from the inside. It can only be operated manually.
I also got an ER IU error code on the trip meter. This is for Body Integrated control module.

1) How do I start looking for the fault? I do have moderate DIY skills
2) could the two be related?

Thanks
Actuators go bad ... I had 4 of them replaced on my 2010 VW Tdi - one by one they went caput! I got rid of the VW for that reason ... too many petty electrical problems with VW these days...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update, FYI on the ER IU

First thing I normally do when I got an error (Land Rover taught me that, plenty of errors :) ) is to check the battery. That I did last week at a guy with an analogue tester. Everything checked out OK.

I noticed it struggling to start the first crank in the morning, but thought nothing of it since the battery was OK.

Yesterday morning there was power to get everything on, but the motor would not crank. Jumped it, and the error disappeared. Took it straight to a proper battery testing service with an intelligent tester, and they promptly diagnosed a faulty battery.

After replacement the Er IU is gone, and cruise control is working again. Sadly the actuator still not working, but the lessons here seem to be:

1) Faulty actuator has a smaller chance to log an error code than a faulty battery
2) Use an intelligent digital tester with a car that has an ECU, the older analogue stuff is good enough for older generation vehicles that is not so complex

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
There seems to be a good number of "error" or "problem" indicators that aren't written up in the factory service manual such as what you found; the "ErIU" comes on when the battery isn't working as well as it should.

Thanks for this interesting update.

Let us know how things go with the lock/actuator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing