Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After completing a timing belt, water pump, plugs, passenger side front half axle, air and oil filters replacement on a 2003 Outback 4cyl manual, I noticed this part on the driveway. It's a 1/16th inch round stock springy rod with 7/16 diameter 3 loop coils at both ends. It's 7.5 inches coil center to center.
Photos below.
Does anyone recognize these as belonging to my subie? If so, where does it belong? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
How's your hood latch working? I really have no idea, but it looks like that's about the right spring for that...

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Old sailing trick - keep a baggy of random bits and screws handy and toss them into a competitors sail or cockpit when they are not looking. The ensuing scramble to sort out where the parts came from and if the mast is going to come down etc is always entertaining and is a good distraction to let you slip by them on the race course.

Or at the dock good entertainment for those in on the gag as we watch from the bar while having a drink.

Also never a good idea to leave your anchor laying out on the boat over night during a regatta. Their are many pranks for what one can do with an anchor when no one is looking.

I recall a good friend stuck in the middle of the marina while all of us were headed out to the race course laughing and pointing as we passed. Took him a few minutes to sort out what the issue was and haul the anchor up. He hasn't left it sitting out since.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
are there any wear marks on it that might indicate if it was on a chain or bolted down somehow?

it could be part of the spurving bearing on the turboencabulator;

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Old sailing trick - keep a baggy of random bits and screws handy and toss them into a competitors sail or cockpit when they are not looking. The ensuing scramble to sort out where the parts came from and if the mast is going to come down etc is always entertaining and is a good distraction to let you slip by them on the race course.

Or at the dock good entertainment for those in on the gag as we watch from the bar while having a drink.

Also never a good idea to leave your anchor laying out on the boat over night during a regatta. Their are many pranks for what one can do with an anchor when no one is looking.

I recall a good friend stuck in the middle of the marina while all of us were headed out to the race course laughing and pointing as we passed. Took him a few minutes to sort out what the issue was and haul the anchor up. He hasn't left it sitting out since.
Heh, much like being on a motorcycle ride and leaning over and hitting someone's kill switch just as you're taking off...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Any storage compartments in the interior with spring-loaded lids? That looks like something that would be used there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing