Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed a link from the Netscape home page, to an article about the top 10 most expensive cars to insure. There also was a link to a top-10 of the least expensive, and Subaru Legacy was #6.

I gues that means we Legacy drivers are responsible, compotent, and safely wrapped in cars that few people want to steal *G*

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Haha. I imagine station wagons are really low on the list of cars that people would steal.

However, the 2005 Legacy Sedan's are some of the most attractive Scoobys ever made, so things might change next year...and the new Outbacks, especially the turbos, aren't so bad either.

But overall, that's a great ranking for Subaru. I'm sure it takes a lot of things into account, including maintenance & repair costs after an accident.

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
I was wondering about this very thing the other night, when I left the car running & unlocked while I stopped to pick up a pizza :) Even though I consider my H6 sedan competitive in most ways with cars like the Audi A4 or BMW 3-series "X", I don't think its remotely as attractive to thieves :D

On the topic of insurance, I was pleased to find that the factory alarm & OnStar each helped lower my rate a bit. FYI my insurance agent ran the VIN to get a list of all such options, but his report didn't list the OnStar, so I had to tell him.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strange, but the most frequently stolen cars are often the plain-jane sedans like a Camry, Century, Cutlass, etc., because they're popular and there are large markets for parts.

But theft would be only one element in the calculations. The insurance companies would also look at elements like owner demographics and behavior; cost of repairs (which is high with Subarus) and liklihood of the cars crashing; the likely consequences to occupants and property in the event of a crash, etc.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Here's the article itself and here's the link

Top 10 Least Expensive Cars to Insure for 2004
By Edmunds.com Editors
Date Posted 01-29-2004
Although auto insurance costs vary widely depending on where you live, how many accidents you've had in the past, how many miles you drive each year and so on, the kind of car you drive also helps insurers make decisions about you. To help out, we've compiled a list of the 10 cars most likely to command the lowest insurance premiums based on five-year projections of the Edmunds.com True Cost to OwnSM (TCO) pricing system.

1. Chrysler PT Cruiser

2. Volkswagen Jetta

3. Saturn L300

4. Saab 9-5

5. Volvo V40

6. Subaru Legacy

7. Pontiac Sunfire

8. Ford Focus

9. Oldsmobile Alero

10. Jaguar X-Type
Good for Subaru of course, like I've stated many times in the past the Legacy and Outback are some of the lowest cost cars to insure so here's the proof. Also notice how many of the listed cars are or have wagon models, I've said that as well. I love giving all those wagon haters and SUV morons something to chew on :D Hopefully it won't change too much with the 2005 models...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts