Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 3.6R Ltd
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My search didn't come up with much, so does anyone know exactly what would be needed to swap Legacy suspension into the Outback? Just struts and springs? Anyone done it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of the reason the US Leg' suspension won't fit is in the rear, as spring/damper rates are completly different (sedan vs wagon). I'm investigating the compatibility between the Wagon and the Outback. The bilstein combo on the Sport Tourer in the rest of the world is tempting me a lot, and I'm trying to find the difference between the 2 models (wagon vs outback). I am tempted to say that (based on the previous Leg/OUtback models and some other Subaru's) only the body of the shock is different (longer on outback) and a different spring rate.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
It was easy when a Legacy wagon was still made.

Not sure if Legacy sedan has enough common parts to swap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It was easy when a Legacy wagon was still made.

Not sure if Legacy sedan has enough common parts to swap.
a legacy wagon is still being made, just not sold in north america... Google BR9 touring wagon and click image. Some nice stuff for the few of us who want it lowered.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
True, but the shipping from Europe is cost prohibitive for many.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I would think that hard points would be identical between the two, and that you could swap between the two with no issues. I would look and see if replacement parts like struts, bushings, etc... are the same. Someone else posted some pics of lowered OB's that look great and made me very jealous, especially if you could do it with all OEM pieces.

I know that 92-00 Civic suspension/drivetrain is a direct swap with 94-00 Integra between the three different bodystyles. I know it's not exactly the same but I think that FHI would be thinking globally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2000 Subaru Outback Suspension with Baja Suspension

2000 Subaru Outback Suspension with Baja Suspension

I need some advice when it comes to swapping out the suspension on my Outback with Baja suspension.

I have found the complete shocks and springs, struts and springs, and the front sway bar unit off a wrecked 2003 Baja. I am wondering what else I need to consider before moving forward.

Please advise.

Thanks,

·
Registered
Mostly stock 2012 6MT.
665 Posts
From what I understand from reading other forums, the front is a direct OEM bolt on. A complete front Legacy front strut will bolt directly into the OB. The reason the rear won't work, is because the spring rate is different. The mounting points are identical, but the added weight of the OB causes the suspension to sag too much. This could be counteracted with a saggy butt spacer, but then you will only have 1-2" of travel. Once you finally have the rear to a acceptable ride height, the camber is way out of allignment, so Legacy upper control arms are necessary to push the rear wheel back out straight. King makes stiffer springs for the Outback to eliminate the saggy butt without using a spacer. Is there a comparable product to replace the Legacy spring? It seems like that would be the key to an super easy swap.

Edit:
If I remember correctly, the part numbers for the lower control arms were the same for the Legacy and Outback. So this would mean that the lower mounts are identical, correct?

Edit#2 Went on subaruonlineparts.com, and looked at the Outback and Legacy struts. I added 1 left upper strut mount from the Outback, and the same part from the Legacy, and it updated the quantity to (2), instead of listing them as 2 separate parts. So they are identical as well.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
798 Posts
On the legacygt forum there's a 2013 outback that used Legacy GT coil overs to lower the car. Not OEM, but great stance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts