Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Subaru Outback 5sp and need a new transmission. I found a 2001 Legacy transmission with low miles. Will this bolt up without any problems? Are there any differences? Thanks.

-G

·
Registered
150 Posts
It should fit. I think the gear ratio is a little bit different (?) but that should result in a little lower rpm on your outback. But maybe I am wrong and it is the differentials that do that. Nonetheless, never change only one differential from Legacy to Outback or in reverse. Allways do both. but that wasn't your question to begin with... sorry.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
the 01 legacy (4.11) and the 00 outback (4.44) have a different final drive ratio so the trans will not swap. UNLESS you also swap the matching rear diff.

your power / economy curve will change. you will have about 8% less power at the wheel and get about 8% better fuel economy, IN THEORY. but it will be hard to calculate since the speedo will be off by about 8%. the speedo will show you are driving faster than you actually are.

have you looked here: www.car-part.com ? put in your zip and sort by distance to see what is close. then sort by price and go to the cheap ones and compare. shipping will add about $150 to the cost of a trans.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the 01 legacy (4.11) and the 00 outback (4.44) have a different final drive ratio so the trans will not swap. UNLESS you also swap the matching rear diff.

your power / economy curve will change. you will have about 8% less power at the wheel and get about 8% better fuel economy, IN THEORY. but it will be hard to calculate since the speedo will be off by about 8%. the speedo will show you are driving faster than you actually are.

have you looked here: www.car-part.com ? put in your zip and sort by distance to see what is close. then sort by price and go to the cheap ones and compare. shipping will add about $150 to the cost of a trans.

Yeah that's what I thought. Is this information displayed in a chart somewhere? I found a tranny for a 2000 outback. This will work with my 2001 outback correct? Sorry i'm just looking for confirmation before i make the purchase! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Car:
2001 Subaru Outback
Manual Transmission

I didn't want to start a new thread so i'll try and ask this question here. I pulled my trans today and it had writing all over it. I guess it's been replaced before.:confused: Anyway the writing says "2002 subaru legacy" with the code...

1.) 4W-TY754VCBCA

My new trans was pulled from a 2000 Subaru Outback with the trans code

2.) HE-TY754V????

I can't remember what they were but i did realize that it was not "CBCA"

I really can't see somebody swapping the trans and rear out for a legacy and not mention that when they sell it to me? Can someone confirm that the first trans code is in fact for an Outback?

If it does turn out someone swapped the rear out with a legacy, what will happen if the final drive ratios are different? Crazy excessive tire wear? Explosions? Black hole?

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it does turn out someone swapped the rear out with a legacy, what will happen if the final drive ratios are different? Crazy excessive tire wear? Explosions? Black hole?
If the front and rear ratios don't match, the center differential will fail due to excessive slippage. It will start to bind, and since the front and rear axles are trying to spin at different speeds while the center diff is binding, something in the driveline will break (possibly a diff gear, axle, or the center diff itself).

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
there is an ID plate on the driver side strut tower under the hood. it will give you the factory ID # for the trans. compare it to both of the ones you have. see if the ''old'' one is a match.

why are you pulling / swapping the trans??

00 - 04 manual trans outbacks, GTs and forester all have the same 3.9 final drive ratio. (mostly larger tires.)

00 - 04 manual trans legacy L, brightons, and low end imprezas (not wrx) all have 4.11 final drive ratio.(mostly smaller tires.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is an ID plate on the driver side strut tower under the hood. it will give you the factory ID # for the trans. compare it to both of the ones you have. see if the ''old'' one is a match.

00 - 04 manual trans outbacks, GTs and forester all have the same 3.9 final drive ratio. (mostly larger tires.)

00 - 04 manual trans legacy L, brightons, and low end imprezas (not wrx) all have 4.11 final drive ratio.(mostly smaller tires.)
My drive shaft broke and slapped the back of the bell house extension off and then a pile of gears continued to fall out the back of my car. It was necessary.

Swap is done. Ended up doing trans, new pass axle, lower ball joints, clutch kit, and new drive shaft, new shift linkage "stuff" (That thing is weird). Over all pretty straight forward. Solid day of work. Only problem was breaking the pinch bolt on both knuckles. Moral was low for awhile...

·
Registered
399 Posts

You have this backwards -

Small tire / base / economy cars have the 3.9 FD (LONG Gearing)
Big tire / Heavy / "sporty cars" have the 4.11 FD (Short Gearing)
Big tire / Heavy +/ "sporty" have the 4.44 FD (oddball 04-05 FXT / baja comes to mind for US)

The short FD (4.11) either offsets the bigger tires & makes Big tire cars drive the same as small tire 3.9 FD cars, OR makes "sporty" small tire cars like N/A L-GTs a bit quicker vs. 3.9FD cars with the SAME ej25 engine (Early Impreza RS's got a Fd change + a displacement increase from 2.2l to 2.5l to get the "sporty" feel).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Big tire / Heavy +/ "sporty" have the 4.44 FD (oddball 04-05 FXT / baja comes to mind for US)

The short FD (4.11) either offsets the bigger tires & makes Big tire cars drive the same as small tire 3.9 FD cars, OR makes "sporty" small tire cars like N/A L-GTs a bit quicker vs. 3.9FD cars with the SAME ej25 engine (Early Impreza RS's got a Fd change + a displacement increase from 2.2l to 2.5l to get the "sporty" feel).
I'm not asking about what cars came with what gear ratios. I want to know if there is anyway to figure out the final drive ratio from any markings on the rear diff or trans.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
with a few exceptions for the WRX and the SVX, suabru for 20 years only used 3 ratios in the ej series cars. and NO there is no marking on the vehicle to reveal what the ratio is. but with a little learning on your part you can make a pretty good guess for at least the 95 - 04 cars.

manual trans cars came with 3.9 or 4.11 ratios. typically, the cars with the smaller tires (legacy brighton, L , LS and low end imprezas) had the 3.9 ratio and the cars with the larger tires (outbacks and foresters) came with the 4.11 ratio.(GTs are also in this 4.11 group since they have tires larger tires than the legacys)

auto trans cars came with 4.11 or 4.44 ratios. typically, the cars with the smaller tires (legacy brighton, L , LS and low end imprezas) had the 4.11 ratio and the cars with the larger tires (outbacks and foresters) came with the 4.44 ratio.(GTs are also in this 4.44 group since they have tires larger tires than the legacys) (the H6 cars do not follow this pattern.)

smaller stock tires mean a smaller ratio number.
larger stock tires means a larger ratio number.

but not many folks take the time to remember this. they just post a question.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

good catch, thanks

post corrected.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Here you go. Ask and you shall receive.

I figured I would just put all the specs up in case someone needed it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Diff ID. There will be a part number in the casing of the transmission. Catch is Subaru may or may not be able to decipher it. It will also be dependent on whether or not the Trans has been altered or modified prior.

Your best bet is to obtain the VIN number from the donor car. Otherwise, just use the graphs I posted and do the bet you can based on the type of car it came from. If its salvage, the company you get it from knows what car in which it was removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm not asking about what cars came with what gear ratios. I want to know if there is anyway to figure out the final drive ratio from any markings on the rear diff or trans.
I was not answering the question your are asking above in my previous post but I will now -

The tag on the drivers side strut tower will list the engine & transmission ID (sticker descrbed below)

Easy way to ID tranny: Look at the sticker on the driver's side top of the transmission bell housing - it usually starts with a "T".

This will allow you to look up the transmission's gear, transfer & FD ratios on a subaru manual transmission chart- example "TY752VB5CA" is a '97-98 STi RA transmission with DCCD center diff & a 4.444 FD

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/trannychart/trannychart.pdf

Best way to figure out a REAR differential's FD is
1. To know the car it came out of so you can figure out the FD of the transmission it was matched to
2. If you just pick up a subaru differential off of the floor you can calculate the final drive ratio by
- removing the diff cover
- find the numbers stamped on the ring gear
- divide the big number by the little number to determine the FD

Common FD ring & pinion numbers are

40:9 - 4.444
37:9 - 4.111
39:10 - 3.90

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
6 Participants
susiemk
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing