Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT, DDM HID 5000K, K&N, Yokohama Avid TRZ, Curt Hitch, Subaru All Weather Mats, Sirius
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Does anyone who has done the retrofit with LegacyGT brake know how much space is between the caliper and wheel on 17inch rims?

I'm trying to come up with a cost effective option for improving the brake performance on the '08 XT. I'd like to go the LGTBrake route but I'm not sure if I will have enough space. I use 17inch OEM wheels for road and offroad I use 16inch steel wheels.

Most of the details I have heard say you can only use 17inch wheels but I wanted to know how tight the clearance is and if it may be possible to put 16inch wheels on or shave the caliper to fit.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hey Guys,

Does anyone who has done the retrofit with LegacyGT brake know how much space is between the caliper and wheel on 17inch rims?

I'm trying to come up with a cost effective option for improving the brake performance on the '08 XT. I'd like to go the LGTBrake route but I'm not sure if I will have enough space. I use 17inch OEM wheels for road and offroad I use 16inch steel wheels.

Most of the details I have heard say you can only use 17inch wheels but I wanted to know how tight the clearance is and if it may be possible to put 16inch wheels on or shave the caliper to fit.
The GT's all came with 16inch wheels up through Gen 3. 2010 and later they came with 17's

For the 08's Pretty sure 16inch wheel or larger works.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT, DDM HID 5000K, K&N, Yokohama Avid TRZ, Curt Hitch, Subaru All Weather Mats, Sirius
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Subiesailor

I think the base models may have had 16inch but according to car101.com 2008 LegacyGT/SpecB. Have 17 or 18inch wheels:

GT: 17x7jj 6 spoke alloys,
215/45 R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE 91W
offset 55mm (2.17)
spec.B: 18x7" 10 spoke alloy
with 215/45 R18 89Y Bridgestone Potenza Summer Performance tire

They also have the larger disks:
12.3 vented front disc
11.3 vented rear disc

The non-GT cars have disks that are the same (or close) to the outback:
11.5 vented front disc
10.6 solid rear disc

2008 Outback XT:
front: 11.5 x 1.18 ventilated disc, twin caliper piston
rear: 10.6 solid disc, single caliper piston

·
Registered
2005 OBXT 5MT
183 Posts
Having owned both and LGT and OBXT, mr3wan is correct. All fourth gen LGTs (05-09) come with 17" wheels. I don't know of a singe set of 16" tires that will fit over LGT brakes. You'll have to run 17s or larger if you do the brake swap. Since the offset of the stock OBXT wheels is lower (+48 on the outback, versus +55 on an LGT) you should have PLENTY of room if you do that swap.

I'll be doing the same swap on my OBXT. If you don't want to go that route the most cost-effective approach is likely just a good set of pads. I actually haven't looked into which brake pads folks are using on the OBXT brakes yet, so can't offer you any advice there as far as what's available.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts