Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1998 outback limited I got it a couple of months ago with the intention of making the ultimate road trip vehicle, that has light off-road capability good road manners because its my daily driver.

This is what it looked like when I got it.

This is what it looks like now

JDM projectors and HID's(the head light aren't as blue as the appear in the pic)

Tint and factory spoiler

Now for the mod list present and pending

Mod List:
JDM Projector headlights
HID headlights 6000k 35w low 55w hi
HID fog lights 3000k 35w
Hi Low and Fogs can all run at the same time
K&N OE replacement filter
Weathertech floor mats
Weathertech cargo mat
OE rear spoiler
ALPINE SPS-610 & SPS-610C front and rear speakers
Doge Neon coil pack conversion
Subaru 4EAT Power Mode
Window tint
CB radio with PA
New stereo head unit
roof rack

Future mods/or projects:

New windshield
1" Subtle solutions lift with 3/8 spacers
larger tires 215/65/16 Geolanders with full size matching spare
snorkel
basslink sub
Subaru OE snowflakes 16"
lsd rear diff

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a bunch of goodies coming this week, I should have everything installed by next Wed. Got a knew head unit ordered Kenwood KDC-X996 In Dash Receiver, I had one of these on my last daily driver and fell in love with it. Great sound quality, looks good, streaming Pandora controls, HD radio, the list gos on. Uniden Pro 538W CB radio I got this because I thought it would fun for road trips and off road, I got this one because it will fit in the din slot under my new deck and it has a PA so I can yell at people that cut me off. Roof rack, this has been high on my to do list, its the place where my spear tire is going to go,and its where I'm going to mount my CB antenna and off-road lights. Three foot fiberglass CB antenna with mount and spring and a 5in pa horn. The next project once I get paid again is a lift kit and tires, I'm going to get subtle-solutions 1in kit and add the 3/8 spacers, add some 215/65/16 Yokohama Geolanders and that will give me close to 2" of lift which I think is a good start. Once all that is done than its time for a snorkel!

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
904 Posts
whered you get the headlights? cost?
looks good I like!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whered you get the headlights? cost?
looks good I like!
I got them on ebay for $240 shipped and there flawless its almost a shame to go off road with them, the HIDs are from DDM there about $40 a set.
And thank you:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roof rack and CB installed, now for the lift kit and tires!

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
904 Posts
pics of neon coil pack conversion, and why that mod?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pics of neon coil pack conversion, and why that mod?

This is the neon coil pack conversion, the reason people do it is because the neon coil pack is much higher voltage than the stock Subaru piece, so better combustion equals smoother engine, more power, and better fuel economy. Also MSD makes a version of the neon coil that is even more powerful, I will be getting that one soon.

On another note I picked up five snowflakes today, so I can order tires and have a full size spare.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
904 Posts
plug and play on coil? looks good
what years do you get one from?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered my lift kit this morning I'm super exited for a lifted subaru!!!

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
welcome to the club! im sitting at 2" of suspension lift right now. its a great height. zero cv problems. i will say that if your struts are old you'll notice it.

i LOVE your single DIN CB!! i wanted to do that but instead made a plate with 2 holes for 1.5" gauges and an ABS shutoff switch in that. im picking up gauges today and will post a pic here tonight if anyone is interested.

on a side note. i also did the neon coil swap. noticed ZERO improvements. i read further and the people that swear it improved things also said things like "my misfire is now gone too!" so they were simply repairing a faulty part. it was a fun project and it looks pretty badass as i painted it green to match my grill :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I noteced the car runs smoother especially at lower rpm but I dont know about any power or fuel economy gains we'll see after a few tanks of gas

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
really? i read that lots too. i honestly felt like nothing was different. but maybe its because mine ran decently smooth at idle to begin with? no clue. i have it now, not going back. haha.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the lift kit installed today! car goes in for alignment tomorrow morning.
after this new tires and rims are next on the list.

Before

After

·
Registered
96 Outback 2.5 AT
427 Posts
That is a very clean looking Outback. Looks just like mine. Those wheels are from a 96 or 97. In 98 Subaru changed the wheel design.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is a very clean looking Outback. Looks just like mine. Those wheels are from a 96 or 97. In 98 Subaru changed the wheel design.
Thanks! the wheels came with the car the, I ran the VIN at the Subaru dealership and it is a 1998 model built in late 1997. It is listed on the build sheet as being a Limited but it has no sunroof, leather or the limited wheels, so I don't know whats up with this car.

·
Registered
96 Outback 2.5 AT
427 Posts
Thanks! the wheels came with the car the, I ran the VIN at the Subaru dealership and it is a 1998 model built in late 1997. It is listed on the build sheet as being a Limited but it has no sunroof, leather or the limited wheels, so I don't know whats up with this car.
Yeah, from the interior photos, it is a 98 for sure. It isn't a Limited but a base model with the all weather package(headed seats). The wheels were swopped out at some point.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, from the interior photos, it is a 98 for sure. It isn't a Limited but a base model with the all weather package(headed seats). The wheels were swopped out at some point.
thats what it looks like to me, but the car fax, insurance company, and Subaru dealer all say my VIN is a limited. That's what I don't get.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts