Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,969 Posts
Fun times. I've really grown to like the Subaru CVT although there are still plenty of those who don't.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT, Abyss Blue Pearl
156 Posts
Fun times. I've really grown to like the Subaru CVT although there are still plenty of those who don't.
The CVT’s simulated shift points aren’t that bad really. On the XT they almost make you think you’ve got at 8-speed. Compared to the 9 speed in my wife’s Acura (notorious for clunky shifts) this thing is butter. And compared to my brother-in-law’s Nissan, this CVT is miles beyond. His truly is the definition of a rubber-band effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,987 Posts
The CVT’s simulated shift points aren’t that bad really. On the XT they almost make you think you’ve got at 8-speed.
Maybe. But I've never found myself wishing I had an 8-speed.
I wish it could make me think I have a CVT instead of trying to be something it isn't.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Maybe. But I've never found myself wishing I had an 8-speed.
I wish it could make me think I have a CVT instead of trying to be something it isn't.
It's my first CVT so I don't have any personal data points to compare against; I had a '14 OB Premium with the 6MT. If it saves my clutch leg from going numb in Austin traffic (when we return to "standard" Austin traffic) I'll be happy.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
It's my first CVT so I don't have any personal data points to compare against; I had a '14 OB Premium with the 6MT. If it saves my clutch leg from going numb in Austin traffic (when we return to "standard" Austin traffic) I'll be happy.
And despite my complaints about the shift points I actually like the CVT. I just wish I had the option to let it be a CVT if I choose. It might be that I wouldn't always like it without the fake shift points as well. The ability to turn them on and off would be great.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I see what you mean. I read somewhere that a “real” CVT was off-putting to Americans when focus-tested. Apparently the transmission keeping itself in the optimum powerband freaked out drivers used to normal automatics. Hence the simulated shift points.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I see what you mean. I read somewhere that a “real” CVT was off-putting to Americans when focus-tested. Apparently the transmission keeping itself in the optimum powerband freaked out drivers used to normal automatics. Hence the simulated shift points.

Yeah, the only thing we hate more than things staying the same is things changing. 😄

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will never buy another CVT again. Either traditional transmission or electric drive for me going forward.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/NAV & Moonroof
66 Posts
I read somewhere that if you put the car in launch mode it gets rid of the fake shift points. How to put it in launch mode? The reviewer (I apologize, I haven't been able to find it again), held the brake and boosted RPMs to 3500 or 4000rpm and released the brakes. The car realized it was in launch mode automatically and did away with the fake shift points.
Doing that is generally really tough on all parts of the car, so I'm not recommending that anyone do it, and I know i won't be doing it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I read somewhere that if you put the car in launch mode it gets rid of the fake shift points. How to put it in launch mode? The reviewer (I apologize, I haven't been able to find it again), held the brake and boosted RPMs to 3500 or 4000rpm and released the brakes. The car realized it was in launch mode automatically and did away with the fake shift points.
Doing that is generally really tough on all parts of the car, so I'm not recommending that anyone do it, and I know i won't be doing it.
we have launch mode on Outbacks? I thought that was a WRX thing only.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,280 Posts
only down side is CVT cannot handle high power applications..... there is a reason Raptor does not recommend their higher power packages for their blower on the h6 with CVT as it (the CVT) would grenade it's self

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
only down side is CVT cannot handle high power applications..... there is a reason Raptor does not recommend their higher power packages for their blower on the h6 with CVT as it (the CVT) would grenade it's self
Most stock automatics also are not built for high horsepower applications either. Automatics probably do have an advantage in that there is a lot of experience out there in rebuilding and modifying them to be able to take stupid amounts of power. I don't know if there is anything inherent about a CVT that would make them unable to be modified to be able to take more power. If a demand develops for it then someone will likely figure it out. All it takes is money. 😁

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,679 Posts
I don't know if there is anything inherent about a CVT that would make them unable to be modified to be able to take more power. If a demand develops for it then someone will likely figure it out.
It's already been figured out for large agricultural tractors and various kinds of construction equipment. Obviously, it's built from the ground up and properly sized to the task at hand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts