Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, PZEV, Satin White Pearl, SAP, OEM Hitch, Body Side Moldings, Door Edge Guards, Wheel Arch Moldings, Splash Guards, Rear Seat Back Protectors, Rear Bumper Cover, Pin
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hitting the Philadelphia Car Show This Weekend!

So now that I have an awesome, current model year Subaru Outback with the wonderful SAP, what am I going to do at the car show :gasp:

I guess I'll check out the new Forester and see what i'ts all about. Little secret, I've always liked the Forester but when I finally got down to the dealer to kick the tires, The Outback won the day:29:

Now that I'm not shopping, maybe I can just take it all in and enjoy, except for the crowds of course.

Share your car show experience for your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
I will be going to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit next weekend. This is my second year going, I went opening weekend last year. However, I've gone just about every year to the Pittsburgh Auto Show. And let me just say... I always thought the Pittsburgh show was pretty awesome, until I went to Detroit...

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
I went to the NY Auto Show a couple years ago and while it was a fun day and got to see some interesting stuff, auto shows are a whole lotta fluff nowadays.

We hit on this in another thread on autshows in a different subforum, but now you see so many concept designs there for marketing purposes and there's not much substance to it.

The "most exciting and popular cars" end up never being made!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
As a former employee of Saab Automobile AB, Trollhattan, Sweden I went to various auto shows here and overseas in the capacity of an "exhibitor". My experience in these shows was always positive.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Don't quote the quote spammers, click the Report button - it's the funny yellow and gray one with the ! in the middle below the user's info.

I've been to the auto shows in Portland, OR and Orlando, FL. It was mostly about seeing new models, not so much about seeing concept cars at those. They do give away some goodies here and there, and people might make fun of me but... I save the model brochures. I've got a bunch stored away from '88-89 that I ought to eBay some time - those cars are starting to show up at car shows and owners love to embellish their display with an original brochure. The ones I've stowed away are basically mint.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
212 Posts
I'll be at the North America International Car Show in Sandy, UT tomorrow. Always enjoy checking out the lastest and greatest.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
When I go to a new car show, I am seriously attracted to models with manual crank windows and no air conditioning.
Haven't had much luck lately.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Don't quote the quote spammers, click the Report button - it's the funny yellow and gray one with the ! in the middle below the user's info..
I'm well aware of the report button. I use it pretty much every day. I report all spammers I catch. I reported this one in another thread.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I'm well aware of the report button. I use it pretty much every day. I report all spammers I catch. I reported this one in another thread.
Are you sure you know what spam is? :confused:

Please let me know how my post could be considered spam.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Are you sure you know what spam is? :confused:

Please let me know how my post could be considered spam.
Apparently better than you. This is exactly why I quoted the spam. The spammer used a line from your previous post #3. If you look at my quote you will see that it was posted by a "wiammaren" not you. wiammaran is a spammer the mods have already removed.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
LA car show in December was my first ever.

This is what I learned. (I went mainly to pickup the $250 coupon for the Subaru I was about to buy)

1. It was really cool to be able to just sit in a ton of different cars (esp diff brands at one time) and see them all up close without sales guys breathing down your neck.

2. The "accessories" hall with all the after market companies, was an obnoxious huge space of really stupid looking women (sorry those girls are NOT my type) and a "whose subwoofer heavy system in their booth can be louder than everyone elses" contest. Nothing like hearing 50 different loud audio systems all playing various versions of hip hop music all at the SAME time with no isolation between booths. The whole room just sounded like thunder. I was hoping for cool booths from the actual audio companies showing all their latest tech but I couldnt find those - only other types of products.

3. Where the actual cars were, not much handing out of material - mostly taking your email/info and "well mail it to you" thing- disappointing. I would like to grab printed brochures of the cars I see that interest me. By the time the stuff came in the mail - I was not interested in looking at it.

4. The people at the booths dont know a lot about the cars or the company - only general stuff. I was a little surprised by this that there wasnt SOMEONE at the booth that could answer questions about things I knew from this board and elsewhere. any other conventions I go to have people that really know the products at the booths - at least one - along WITH the pretty girls pretending they didnt just read up on it all the night before the show.

I think that I will go again in the future - it was fun to see everything in one place up close.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Apparently better than you. This is exactly why I quoted the spam. The spammer used a line from your previous post #3. If you look at my quote you will see that it was posted by a "wiammaren" not you. wiammaran is a spammer the mods have already removed.
I apologize! I saw the quote (my words) and assumed it was me (since it was haha). Didn't know someone had hijacked my bland comment.

·
Registered
Silver 06 2.5i
696 Posts
Just got back from the phila auto show.
Got to sit in a 13 outback with the SAP very nice .
Liked the crosstrek but felt cheap inside,and loaded for 27 k has no power seats. My 06 outback nicer and better feeling surfaces.
The main reason I went was to see the new Audi Allroad. Wow what a nice car much different then the old all road . Could be my next car when one comes off lease in about 3 years.
Really liked the Mazda 6 . Not so much the CX5 the interior felt dated with cheap materials, and close to 30K for AWD .
Hate to say it but I also liked the new RAV4 loaded with AWD for 28K.
All in all a good trip.
Reinforced me keeping my 06 outback.

Mike K

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I apologize! I saw the quote (my words) and assumed it was me (since it was haha). Didn't know someone had hijacked my bland comment.
NP. They seem to go after the very vanilla statements. They got me too a while back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to the New York Auto Show a couple years ago (when the Dodge Challenger was introduced as a concept). And also a couple of years before that.

The things I remember from the two trips:

The Subaru LLBean Edition had very comfortable cloth seats (only second to the Hummer H2)

The Acura TSX was my favorite in terms of size/layout (with the introduction of the ILX, wish the TSX would have become the new Accord along with the Sport wagon, instead of chasing the Camry/Altima/Malibu in becoming full size cars).

Liked all the tech in the Infiniti (reviews had said it was too dark)...BMW was a little overwhelming.

Leather of Audi was the best.

Biggest surprise to me was the quality when I sat in the Hyundai XG350 and how nice it was. Especially when I sat in a Mercury Sable right after (the rear bench felt like I was sitting on hard plastic).

I am most likely going to go this year, since I am considering buying in the next 2 years. I usually do not buy first model runs, so kinks can get worked out.

Currently interested in:
Subaru Outback (like the addition of the timing chain)
Mazda CX5 (hopefully will offer a stronger engine)
Jeep Patriot (budget option)
Dodge Journey (rented a Dodge Avenger and was impressed)
Hyundai Santa Fe (for a first year run, seems to be doing well, sister just bought an Elantra which I have driven. Could use a little more power...on the highway really have to press down at 55-60 mph)
Ford Escape (a lot of issues to work out...would like if they brought the Fusion wagon over here)
Nissan Rogue (not sure of cargo capacity/reliability)
Toyota Venza (gets expensive adding options)

if I were to lease luxury or find good discounts:
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Audi Allroad (in my dreams...and if they get transmission issues fixed/reliability)

I know not a very apples to apples comparison, but for me I would pay a little extra for added refinement/ride quality, although the main reasons I am looking at this segment is added utility (in terms of being able to throw my bike in the back/on roof rack...moving furniture/costco runs...driving in the rain/snow, mostly bike commuter now).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts