Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what people have come up with for dog transportation setups?

I have a 50lbs very high energy dog that's often on the road with me. I'll be picking up a 21 Outback in about a month and I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to move him around in the new car. I previously just had a seat protector on my sedan and kept him from flying out the window with a tether to his harness, but he wound up destroying the interior door panel with his nails, and I was always worried that if we got into an accident, he'd get seriously injured, if not from flying around than from the airbags coming down right on his head.

The options as I see it are (1) place him in the second row with a seat protector and door protector (2) place him in the rear with a cargo divider (3) place him in the rear in a kennel. Thoughts? Preferences? Pictures of your own setup?

Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
Kennel. Safer for both of us, localizes the hair and fits transversally with the back seats up.. Got the tallest Petmate Sky Kennel (the 36" long model) I could fit into my '15 for my 50# Lab/possibly Greyhound mix. They are like $250 now, but about $60 when I bought, go figure.

Attachments

Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
I have the Travall guard for the rear cargo area and it's been the best car accessory I've ever bought. A kennel might be safer or contain hair better, but I love the ease of the Travall guard. I just open the hatch and the dog loads himself. I leave the guard up all the time and I can take it down in 5 minutes if I ever need to. It's pricey at ~$200, but it was worth it for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Travall guard for the rear cargo area and it's been the best car accessory I've ever bought. A kennel might be safer or contain hair better, but I love the ease of the Travall guard. I just open the hatch and the dog loads himself. I leave the guard up all the time and I can take it down in 5 minutes if I ever need to. It's pricey at ~$200, but it was worth it for me.
Have you noticed any damage to the headliner or other interior surface at all?

Registered
2018 SUBARU OUTBACK 2.5I LIMITED
Definitely a crate/kennel for the safety of dogs. The cargo area is too small for two medium crates so the one with good behavior can ride without a crate in the cargo area.
However, be warned -you cannot keep the hatch open for dogs if you are outside but cannot let your dogs roam. The battery will die. Once the battery is dead, you have to rescue your dogs from inside - by flattening the backseats.
Subaru quietly issued a bulletin to improve this cargo door battery drainage. The dealer said that I could keep the cargo door open as long as the interior lights are off, but SOA said that keeping he cargo door open would drain the battery to death. I go to dog trials, and it is important to keep them cool while wait. I am afraid to keep the cargo door open even with the new module. My Outback kills battery just sitting on the drive way for one day (everything was off, door closed). I changed the battery three times in 3 years.
I am so disappointed at Subaru Outback - not dog friendly and danger to my and my dogs!

Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
Backseat with seat cover from canine covers.

Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited
We have a 40lb hound and a 17lb hound - both in separate crates (one largish and one small) in the cargo area. Just enough room for both crates, and it keeps them safe, as well as us. It does require removing the cargo cover, but so did my 4Runner - price I pay for the mutts. When shopping for a new(er) car, criteria was that both crates must fit - actually carried the crates to test drives to ensure they fit with the trunk closed.

Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
@camhabib, The guard itself hasn't damaged the car in any way, but I have acquired a few scratches on the inside of the lift gate plastic. My dog gets excited and will sometimes paw at the gate to get us to open it. It doesn't bother me too much because there were already some scratches back there from the previous owner, but it is something to consider.

Registered
2008 OB EJ25
Whatever method you choose, be sure to check the laws in the states where you are driving. In some states is is illegal to have an un-restrained animal in the car. Whether you use a crate, a partition, or a leash that attached to the seatbelt. Think of it this way: If you are in an accident, your dog becomes a (weight of your dog)lb projectile inside your car. Not good for any of the occupants. We have has Shelties for years, and they always ride in a crate.

Registered
I have a 110 lb anxious German Shepard. Bought a Travall guard to keep him in the back. Works great for the dog. No rattles and protects from anything flying up front if I slam on the brakes.

Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT

Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
That looks like a pretty dang good idea and is cheap enough to give it a try and toss it in the garbage if it doesn't work!

I purchased a Dog Hammock from Amazon. It works well. I have a Senior Dog that rides in the second row (all the better to steal my French Fries) - The Hammock prevents him from tumbling into the foot well when he looses his balance. Because it hangs from the steal rods from the headrest, it provides enough support for a 50 LBS dog.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Subaru just came out with a padded second row seat protector for dogs, MSRP $229.95

Pet-friendly Padded Seat Protector Installation Instructions
My problem with the seat cover solution (which I鈥檓 using now) is that if someone needs to use the seat, it requires the person either getting covered in fur or me having to take 5 minutes to remove the cover for them. It also doesn鈥檛 stop my pup from destroying the door panels as he tries to get a better look out the window.

The more I think about it, the more I鈥檓 leaning towards using a crate. I鈥檝e been researching them for the past couple days and the Variocage seems like the option to go with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts