Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,689 Posts
dog is just about 16, she can no longer get in car so I pick her up and set her on the front seat. she is about 30lbs

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited
22 Posts
This is a larger crate - not the biggest, and our hound dog is long, tall but thin at about 40 lbs. We also have a smaller, older beagle mutt that's about 15 pounds, and her crate fits just fine next to the big one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5
135 Posts
TransK9. It's expensive, $850. I need a rear crate as we stage at K9 trainings 2-3x a week, the dog needs to be secure with the rear hatch open for ventilation.
C7E9FC71-81D9-40D9-8DB0-FCD1D385DF23_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
TransK9. It's expensive, $850. I need a rear crate as we stage at K9 trainings 2-3x a week, the dog needs to be secure with the rear hatch open for ventilation.
View attachment 510803
Any reason for going TransK9 over the Variocage?

Additionally, is there anyway I could impose upon someone to measure the rear tailgate opening for me (height and width)? I’m trying to figure out what size crates I can fit, which is a bit difficult when I don’t even have the car yet.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5
135 Posts
TransK9 has walls, Variocage is a cage, my dog swims a lot, my rear cargo area stays pretty clean. TransK9 latches/locks don't fall apart like Variocage and it's cheaper.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Works great for people or dogs. Way better built than the $20 Amazon variety we used to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Curious what people have come up with for dog transportation setups?

I have a 50lbs very high energy dog that's often on the road with me. I'll be picking up a 21 Outback in about a month and I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to move him around in the new car. I previously just had a seat protector on my sedan and kept him from flying out the window with a tether to his harness, but he wound up destroying the interior door panel with his nails, and I was always worried that if we got into an accident, he'd get seriously injured, if not from flying around than from the airbags coming down right on his head.

The options as I see it are (1) place him in the second row with a seat protector and door protector (2) place him in the rear with a cargo divider (3) place him in the rear in a kennel. Thoughts? Preferences? Pictures of your own setup?
Border Collie rides shotgun with ribs against seatback wearing the seatbelt looking out side window. He fussed once so I left him home. Never been a issue since.
Lost pix in my old phone.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts