Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My order is in for the Rally Innovations Light Bar and I'll be installing it over Thanksgiving with the intention of having lights to dress it up with at the same time. My problem is...which lights? I have no experience with auxiliary lights so your input and experience is appreciated.

Cliffs Notes of the information I'm looking for:

- What size lights work/look best on a Gen4 Outback?
- What brand/model lights offer decent light output, a reasonable price and moderate quality?
- From personal experience, are there any brands/models you would recommend or avoid?

Here's my breakdown of background information and research thus far:

Type of Usage
I will be using these on back roads, country roads, and to supplement high beams. I will be using them infrequently, probably a couple times a week during late night driving, and potentially a few winter weekend trips into the mountains. When I do use these lights, it will likely be quick cycling between on/off as you would use your high beams on backroads. It's New Jersey, there are no empty roads.

Type of Lamps
LED: Love the output but not the price. Considering the minimal use, I can't really justify going with LED.
Xenon: With quick on/off use, xenon doesn't seem like a good option either because they would prematurely wear out
Halogen: all signs point towards halogen lamps: cost efficient, O.K. light output and widely available

Type of Beam Pattern
Driving: seems like the best all around option. Potentially four of these mounted on the light bar?
Fog: might be beneficial to have a wider, lower beam as well. Potentially two of these mounted low, and two driving lights on top of the light bar?
Pencil: Benefit is...reach out much further down the road? Would it be better with two fogs+two pencil, or two fogs+two driving? Pencil beam not as widely available

Brands/Models for Consideration
A few that I have been considering - useful input is appreciated ($=low, $$=medium, $$$=high):

Lightforce 170 -- 100w halogen, driving -- $$$
PIAA 520 -- 85w halogen, driving or fog light -- $$$
Hella Rallye 1000 Black Magic -- 55w halogen, driving light -- $$$
Hella Rallye 500 Black Magic -- 55w halogen, driving light (smaller version of above) -- $$
Hella 500 -- 55w halogen, driving or fog light -- $

Pictures of your setup (to compare size, light output, etc.) or your experience with any of the above or others would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few others I'm trying to identify..

Unknown:

Hella Rallye 4000 Xenon I believe:

Forum member scoobydoo2, 4 x Lightforce 170:

2 x Lightforce XXX on the bottom and enormous 2 x Hella lights on top:

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
im extremely happy with my HID hella optilux, not insanely expensive. with daylight savings time my dog has to wait for me to get home to run. they light up a giant field like stadium lights. i still havent hooked up my hella ff75s, here's a pic

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I can't comment on what fits, but I have been running a set of LightForce 170s on my truck for eleven years and they are still 100% functional and look very good. Their lexan construction (body, lens AND covers) makes them pretty much indestructible, unless your rig catches fire.

The ability to change lens cover type and color is a big plus, and you can focus the beam like a tactical flashlight, by rotating the housing. I run a clear spot lens cover on the left light, and a clear wide beam lens cover on the right one. They are amazing on a pitch black back road......

They are astoundingly lightweight and won't bob around like many lights when you are on a rough road. The downside is that they are very deep and won't tuck back out of the way on smaller vehicles like an OB.

If you can afford their cost, I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. .... Reviews:

The PIAA 520s are excellent, but I think the black plastic "Baja" guards look silly. They are available with regular snap-on white covers that look very nice. They have every shallow housings. I mounted a set on my son's old Audi, and they look great and perform well. They are generally highly regarded at enthuiast forums, and offer great bang for the buck. I give them five stars, compared to ten for the LF.

The Hella 500s are poorly constructed for long term use, and the crystal lenses are rock magnets. They should be at the very bottom of your list. Consider them to be disposable.

Keep in mind that you may get harassed by an LEO if you use any of these lights on public roads, especially if you run 100 watt bulbs. Many states require that you use opaque covers when you are not off-road. OTH I have never been hassled for having clear covers on my LightForces..... but I am very careful to use them only when there are no other vehicles around.

Any of the 100 watt lights require an upgraded heavy duty harness to minimize wasteful voltage drop (I like 12 AWG or bigger), with individual relays for each light, wired directly to the battery. Don't leave them on when stopped, or they may overheat and also discharge your battery. For this reason, an additional set of cheap, small, wide angle LED or HID lights, wired to the low beams that can be left on all the time might be a good option, if you are doing a lot of low speed/ low rpm poking about in your OB.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, fellas. I was initially leaning towards the Hella 500FF with Color Shieldz for protection because of a few reasons: cost, appropriate size for the OB, and a complete plug-and-play package. However after looking further into, it seems like none of the Hella lights are technically supposed to be mounted upside-down, which is how I plan to the mount the first two lights on the Rally Innovations light bar. It seems, for the driving light pattern, that people have mounted them upside down and the light pattern is not affected, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

Now looking into the PIAA and Lightforce, although with the limited amount that I'll use these lights I'm not sure if I want to invest that much $$$ initially.

The search continues... :sayinghi:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Hella 500 Black Magic. For the money, I can't complain.
I had few of those myself on my previous cars... I like the black magic Hellas!
Any diminished light output with the Black Magic Hellas? That has been one of my concerns when looking at the 500FF and the 500 Black Magic. The Black Magic is slightly more expensive with less light output, so basically you're paying more for less light but better looks.

Right now I'm leaning towards Hella 700FF on the bottom and Hella 500 Fogs on the top.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Any diminished light output with the Black Magic Hellas? That has been one of my concerns when looking at the 500FF and the 500 Black Magic. The Black Magic is slightly more expensive with less light output, so basically you're paying more for less light but better looks.

Right now I'm leaning towards Hella 700FF on the bottom and Hella 500 Fogs on the top.
Yes - it's all cosmetics...LOL But you can put 100W bulb in there and you have the output there - however, that may be illegal in most states...
Also, Black Magic is an ancient design as well...
But, they look good!

·
Registered
ADF lifted BP
665 Posts

Not that I can tell, but I've only had them installed for about a month now.

The only negative thing I can say is that their a bit bigger then I thought they would be. I mounted on a Rally Innovations bar to the bottom two mounts and they sit just a little bit below the bumper and I'm not sure thats a good thing. I think I might remount them to the top and add some smaller fogs to the bottom in the future.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not that I can tell, but I've only had them installed for about a month now.

The only negative thing I can say is that their a bit bigger then I thought they would be. I mounted on a Rally Innovations bar to the bottom two mounts and they sit just a little bit below the bumper and I'm not sure thats a good thing. I think I might remount them to the top and add some smaller fogs to the bottom in the future.
Would you happen to have a picture of the Hella 500 Black Magic mounted on your Rally Innovations light bar?

Would be great to see their size mounted relative to the OB. Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
i mounted an amazon.com led light, for 21 bucks, to my passenger mirror and its working fantastically. super bright, cheap, basic. looks pretty silly, but the next time i go do some camping/deep montana driving, i'll be stoked to have some extra light.

·
Registered
99 OBW 4EAT, getting built
417 Posts
I recently put a 22" 120W LED lightbar on mine. It's plugged into the factory fog light wiring.

·
Registered
99 OBW 4EAT, getting built
417 Posts
It's some cheap ebay light, I don't have a brand. Search for a 22" LED lightbar and you'll find it. 120W. One of the stock mounts stripped really easily so I made some out of 1/8" steel, the only issue is it can't be aimed as much. It's a wider beam than I'd like too, too much of the light ends up very close. Angling it up a little will help but it'll never really reach out.

I might put another (probably smaller) light somewhere too, that's more of a spotlight.

I'm doing head gaskets and getting rid of AC next weekend. I might paint stuff when I have the radiator/condenser out.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ Nice, I think that looks pretty good from what I can see in the side-shot. Any smaller and I think the aux lights would look insignificant. Looks like you have the Hella plastic clear covers on them too?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts