Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OBW 3.0R Limited (5EAT) w/ lift & other mods
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be replacing my steering rack with a used one soon and am thinking of putting an LGT rack in rather than another OB one. I know it will bolt up, but I have the 3.0L H6 and saw a couple of vague references to the pumps being different (mine apparently having higher flow and lower pressure). Have not been able to find much more than that, so I'm wondering if I may/will encounter problems down the road by putting an H4 rack into an H6. If so, is swapping pumps a possibility?

EDIT: This post http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...cy-gt-sti-steering-rack-swap.html#post2597242 and the next one are the source of info about differences in pumps.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts
@traildogck I think has tried LGT steering racks on Francine the silver 2006 XT.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, he did and seems to be very happy with it. That's where I got the confirmation that it will fit without issues. I should have added "pump compatibility" to the post title to clarify what info I'm after.

Maybe the simplest answer would be to find out whether all Outback models used the same rack part number, regardless of engine type. If so then I can assume there will be no problems. I looked on opposedforces.com and the Subaru parts site and could not find a part number for the full rack assembly at all. Apparently you can't buy them new anymore, unless you luck out and find a dealer with unsold inventory. I found this post from tdck which mentions PN's for LGT, Spec.B, and OB racks (34110AG05 for OB) but searching that part number turns up pretty much nothing except his post.

EDIT: never mind, found the part number. had to think "inside the box" and do the simple thing, which was searching "steering gear box" on parts.subaru.com :1pat: You can still buy them new, if you're willing to drop $700.

All 2005-2006 (and some 2007 & 2008) Outbacks and many Legacys use the same steering gear box, 34110AG05A. Some Legacys from 2005-2009 had 34110AG06A instead, which is the one tdck bought new. Spec.B cars had 34110AG07A. So I'm going to guess that it really makes no difference what pump I have. However, finding the correct one (06A) used may be a chore, since there's no clear division between Legacy models/trims as to which had what.

Looks like I answered my own question. :crazyeye:

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,221 Posts
There are no problems. The ratios are the only thing that is differnt.

The OBs are the slowest but the tightest radius. (makes sense) Although there are many differnt part numbers that fit 3.0, 2.5, 2.5T, OBs and Leggys.

The SpecB is the quickest, but the largest turning radius. (makes sense also, You don't want super quick, super tight radius....oversteer disaster, understeer also)

The LGT was the best solution for me. Now compared to Cherry...Subi steering is choice in these years...so she feels great. Once I brought the tie-rods and rack up to snuff.

The Rex/STI racks work also...you just can't use the tie-rods at all. Just the rack and pinion.

That's what I know....

:soapbox:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no problems. The ratios are the only thing that is differnt.

The OBs are the slowest but the tightest radius. (makes sense) Although there are many differnt part numbers that fit 3.0, 2.5, 2.5T, OBs and Leggys.

The SpecB is the quickest, but the largest turning radius. (makes sense also, You don't want super quick, super tight radius....oversteer disaster, understeer also)

The LGT was the best solution for me. Now compared to Cherry...Subi steering is choice in these years...so she feels great. Once I brought the tie-rods and rack up to snuff.

The Rex/STI racks work also...you just can't use the tie-rods at all. Just the rack and pinion.

That's what I know....

:soapbox:
Cool, thanks for the follow up! I did not realize I'd be losing some of the OB super tight turning radius, which is too bad. But, probably worth it for overall improvement of responsiveness.

I have all new inner and out TRE's and boots, which is what's kind of prompting this in the first place. If I'm going to do all that I figure I might as well just get something with a lot fewer miles on it and put that in while I'm at it.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,329 Posts
oooooh - if Impreza racks can work with your tie rods, maybe look for 06 + WRX racks. Supposedly faster rate than the previous year WRXes.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,221 Posts
Cool, thanks for the follow up! I did not realize I'd be losing some of the OB super tight turning radius, which is too bad. But, probably worth it for overall improvement of responsiveness.
I like it. The OB steering is a bit twitchy as higher speeds or more dynamic maneuvers. That's why they slow it down a bit. I don't miss the turning radius, but I don't off road at all. That's the only advantage, that and parking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts