Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 OB XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was involved in a accident that totaled my car. Geico handled it very well, and valued my car at market price of equivalent cars. Their reps (customer service) were very empathic supportive all the way.
Now that I got a newer OB '21, I found out about Liberty mutual deal for subaru. I got a quote from them, and it is at least 10% less than Geico. In normal circumstances I'd simply take liberty. But I want to learn from the experience of this community how does Liberty handle claims. If ever you had to claim, how did it go - the un-written terms, the general policy itself and reps. Is it worth the change?
And then, I'm going to get Subaru extended Warranty 10yr/100K - what all can I avoid in auto insurance? I see "mechanical breakdowns" that may not be covered by insurance anymore. Anything else?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,289 Posts
The most attractive feature of the Liberty Mutual Subaru thing would be if the "Genuine Replacement Parts" means "Genuine Subaru OEM Replacement Parts". Words can be tricky and we have a tendency to think they say what we want them to say even if it doesn't actually say it. Anyone know?

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
741 Posts
I had liberty mutual for decades. Never an issue or hassle on home or auto claims. Only reason I don’t have them today was due to massive rate hikes over the years. Their premiums were the second highest in our state behind state farm.

·
Registered
2021 OB XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had liberty mutual for decades. Never an issue or hassle on home or auto claims. Only reason I don’t have them today was due to massive rate hikes over the years. Their premiums were the second highest in our state behind state farm.
That's my doubt exactly. They mentioned they don't change rates every 6months like others. But they handle it year after year.
What I'd they bump-up right after the year?
Btw, I live in NJ. It seems Geico is the best in tri-state area. Which state are you in?
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
741 Posts
That's my doubt exactly. They mentioned they don't change rates every 6months like others. But they handle it year after year.
What I'd they bump-up right after the year?
Btw, I live in NJ. It seems Geico is the best in tri-state area. Which state are you in?
Thanks for sharing
It is true they are not 6mo. My policies were 12mo. Most companies, including Geico, only do 6mo policies.

·
Registered
2021 OB XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is true they are not 6mo. My policies were 12mo. Most companies, including Geico, only do 6mo policies.
The question is how much discount are they going to retract after first year?
There is no "first time customer discount" applied, but yet...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Actually, I agree with the constant rate increases... once they have you. if the OP wants to go with them with presumed savings, they would be well served to look for competitive rates annually. Liberty will employ rate creep. There’s a reason liberty has had a full-on national ad campaign for well over a year... their “buy only what you want“ is a means to hitting a competitive price point while giving up something.....they are the highest up this way.... fwiw, I checked out the Subaru liberty offer and it was far and way much more than the others I looked into and not even closely competitive.

·
Registered
‘21 OB XT Touring
26 Posts
I recently got hit by an suv who was insured with Liberty. Right from the beginning I had a hard time filing a claim. It kept making try to send me a text message to file a claim online, but I had to create an account. Finally got someone on the phone filed the claim, got a voicemail from the their adjuster and didn’t hear back for 2 weeks after leaving several voicemails myself, only to find out they denied my claim. I went through my own insurance who did not place me at fault. But I had to eat the deductible. When talking to my insurance I mentioned they were very unresponsive and my agent said -yeah, that’s how those companies are. They want you to do everything online.

This experience is not from being a customer but it was enough to keep me away from even considering them as my new insurer.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I recently got hit by an suv who was insured with Liberty. Right from the beginning I had a hard time filing a claim. It kept making try to send me a text message to file a claim online, but I had to create an account. Finally got someone on the phone filed the claim, got a voicemail from the their adjuster and didn’t hear back for 2 weeks after leaving several voicemails myself, only to find out they denied my claim. I went through my own insurance who did not place me at fault. But I had to eat the deductible. When talking to my insurance I mentioned they were very unresponsive and my agent said -yeah, that’s how those companies are. They want you to do everything online.

This experience is not from being a customerstill go forward but it was enough to keep me away from even considering them as my new insurer.
Yup..... we have an active claim with liberty..... got an attorney because of personal injury..... found not at fault.....same deal...denied the claim..... we filed in court.....they countered it was too late.... ind you my wife had been in treatment for more than 2-years then COVID shut the court system down..... it’ll still go forward..... they’ll settle at some point.... geico is the same..... both will do everything they can to delay and hope drop it and go away.... when we were going through the vehicle damages (car was totaled) they dragged that on and kept asking if we were going to file for personal injury as a gate to settling the vehicle part of the claim..... btw.... the car was parked at the curb And a kid lost control of his car and slammed into my wife with enough force to pile her into a parked car ahead of her and drag her into the road way.... it was a school zone and he claimed he wasn’t speeding.... I document everything tire/skid marks, angle of impact.... everything and they still want to deny the claim..... the limo emu must be heading liberty legal... burying their head in the sand hoping it’s going go away....

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,213 Posts
What @Mohawk and @Nhcycle have noted, I have experienced also (Geico). The common denominator? We were not their insured, but an accident victim wherein their insured was the party at fault and they were obligated to us. And while most any insurance company is probably going to be treating us differently than their own insured under such circumstances, it seems some companies can take it to the extreme when it's the other party.

My story here. While it was hard to pin Geico down, persisting did pay off, as they eventually folded their tent when they realized it was going to cost them a lot more if they continued to play their games and prolong the claim process.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Along the same vein... the absolute worse and predatory insurance company out there is CIGNA.... I went out on permanent disability due to renal failure.... CIGNA a was the company’s LTD carrier of a 1996 legacy policy that essentially s rated ”if I couldn’t preform my a job, I was done with no need to find “an alternative job...” 11-yrs in they suddenly closed the claim using a 2001 policy that had added the clause - “your job or any other in the marketplace...” ahuh...nice try, the policy in-force at the time of the initial claim is the only one that counts.....unfortunately for them, I retained the original copy. They still denied reinstate the....so it was off to federal court.....they end3 up reinstating my claim and paying all ole

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sorry bout that...dropped my iPad. Legal and court costs and some punitive costs..... just too close the story... 8-years my niece had a baby 15-minutes into the new year....
labor started early on the 31st. CIGNA health said it was two events so two deductibles...nope... point is they do it across their various lines of business. I also have a close friend who worked for CIGNA who’s then director was fired because he didn’t deny enough claims... and.they wonder why people hate insurance companies.....

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5
62 Posts
I have GEICO for cars, and had Liberty Mutual for my renter's insurance. They were both fantastic. My wife was rear-ended in her Prius Prime a year ago, and we had a new car and payment for car seat replacement, etc., within 5 days or so. They valued the car at about what we paid for it like 8 months earlier. I LOVE GEICO.

Liberty Mutual was awesome when I had a bike stolen. Sent me $$ to replace within 48 hours. I'd happily use either. The only issue I had w Liberty, they were QUICK to drop my renter's insurance after making like 2 late premium payments. I didn't;t have it set up for auto-withdrawal and would forget to pay, until a couple weeks after due. They wouldn't renew and wouldn't budge, which is weird to me, my wife and I have credit scores of 800. But whatever. I'd still use them again, that was my fault.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,289 Posts
I wonder if Geico and Liberty Mutual quality vary from State to State?

Here in Hawaii I've had no problem when a Liberty Mutual subscriber backed into my Honda Fit and left a note, and Liberty Mutual sent me a check. Geico has never given me a problem with claims either but I've never been savvy enough to know if these things are underpaid or not.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,213 Posts
I wonder if Geico and Liberty Mutual quality vary from State to State?
Aside from one's personal insurance agent (who usually isn't involved in a claims process), the only face of the insurance company we normally see is the adjustor. And while this position certainly involves a lot of training, standards, processes, etc., it sometimes can boil down to the personality of that one person - that is where the company makes or breaks it.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,642 Posts
^^^^ yep, had a claim for roof damage with Amica. First adjuster p!553d me off. I called and asked for a different adjuster. He just came in the house and sat down. I asked him if he needed to use my ladder or if he had one and he said; "The company just told me to do what you say."

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I thought if you file a claim with your insurance they recover the deductible from the at-fault party on your behalf?

Anyway I noticed the OP was in NJ. I have NJM. They’re a little pricey but I’ve had them for almost 20 years. For the first 2 years I believe you get OEM parts including windshield. After that you would have to pay the difference out of pocket after deductible. So if you have a $100 comprehensive deductible and a rock takes out your windshield, and the aftermarket safelite solution is $600, and the OEM one is $900, you’d have to pay the difference ($300) plus deductible ($100).

NJM covers all liquid glass repair work for free but replacement of the windshield itself would be covered under comprehensive. I recently changed my deductible from $500 to $100 for comprehensive and the premium went up about $10 per year. Learned that lesson after I changed my wife’s Honda windshield.

Some companies have a special glass coverage endorsements that costs like $2 per car per year, and reduces your deductible to $25 per instance. NJM is not a company that does this.

It appears you can get better rates with Geico or Progressive but I haven’t “played the game” and shopped around. Part of me is skeptical about teaser rates that goes up over time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts