Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealing with these folks is good, they seem to be a very large volume dealership (at least when it comes to Subaru) in northern NJ, they were the first dealership that I have seen to have Outback XTs in stock and they are an SPT dealership with a very nicely detailed website. Yeah, they use the standard Subaru dealership template but they seem to update their inventory nicely.

Onto my purchase, saleman Jeff W. and I went for a test drive on 6/23 of an XT, obviously the saleman did his homework and knew about the car, salesman drives an older SVX. I bought mine under the VIP program so it's not like I had to do any haggling so in short, paperwork and stuff was fairly easy. Car was delivered as scheduled and he went over the car (as per Subaru's rules) before I left.

Unfortunately, there wasn't any extraordinary circumstances to my purchase so can't be the best judge of this dealership, and I'm a fairly easy going guy anyway. But I would recommend these guys based on purchasing alone at least. I have not yet had to deal with service though..

Cons: Location, going for a test drive that doesn't include just local driving is hard. Do not go at rush hour as that part of Bergen county is just jam packed. Forget trying to find open road on Rt 17, Rt 4 or the GSP at any time resembling rush hour. My test drive consisted of driving around the block in very localized driving. Lack of parking spaces, is this common to all Subaru dealerships? I went to two dealerships in northern NJ and none of them have like any parking!

Jay

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my Outback Sedan from Dan (Sales Manager). Very professional and no problems. My father and brother also bought Subies there and neither had any issues.

The test drive sucks - if you want an excuse to open it up, go to Ransey Subaru on Rt17. Right out of the parking lot, you're into traffic on 17.

I bought my Legacy Ltd. there and will be visiting both shortly when I trade the Legacy in for the Outback Sport Wagon.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the test drive around Liberty was weird, literally drove around the block and back. I didn't ask if I can take it out on the highway though. Not sure if I could.

I think the best test drive was when my father was shopping for his Acura long time ago, gave us the car keys to an Acura Legend and said "go for a drive"... :)

Jay

·
Registered
9 Posts
the dealers at Liberty are top rated for me. i have an '05 OB limited bought from ramsey a year ago. i wouldn't want to go back there again. typical fast-talk, slick salesmen. we almost went to court. good thing we finally agreed on a price.

last month we needed another car. we went to liberty and got us a 06 forester LL bean. deal was stress-free. Jeff W. was also my salesman. i immediately knew he wasn't trying to screw me.

when a salesman starts the negotiation by asking your monthly payment preference its a red flag for me. i went to toyota hackensack to look at the 06 rav4. after a test drive and a good chat and trying to agree on a purchase price, he pop the question on monthly payments. i said i dont care about the monthly, i only want to deal with the purchase price. we both paused than laughed. i left a few minutes later and i went staright to liberty to close the deal on the forester.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The sales dept seems to be consistent

I bought my '96 outback from Jeff W. , did you guess, 1996 ?
Between me and my cousin, we owned 3 Subaru's from Liberty
going back to XT6.

The sales team there seems to be the same for as long as I can remember, that makes me wonder if you can find another group who knows their cars very well. No pressure selling, you can wonder around the car in peace and when you have a question, they are just a few steps away

·
Registered
107 Posts
Weird. I had a not so swell time at Liberty. Their main location in Oradell seemed very nice. We spoke to an English gentleman named Alex. He directed us to the Bergenfield Liberty location for a particular car we were looking at (I suppose the older/more used vehicles are at the Bergenfield locale?). I can't recall the name of the salesman there but he was awful. He was trying to screw us over from the start. It was so blatant too that it was insulting. Like we were idiots to swallow what he was telling us.:mad: We did not end up buying any Subarus from him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought my '14 Outback, certified pre-owned, from Liberty last month (Sept. 2015). Salesman was Mike G. Great experience, very easy. Willing to work with me on trade-in value and extended warranty. Agree 110% that the test drive around the sleepy neighborhood streets was lame. Might as well have just sat in the car in the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I LOVE this dealership - it's where I bought mine (Ed Vogel was my salesman). I drove over 130 miles round trip to start the purchase process and then AGAIN to come back and pick it up.

Pure luck. I bought it used. It was one of two 6MT's in grey that I could find anywhere in the country (the other being in Cali and not eligible for sale and shipping out of state).

It was a single owner car, bought there, maintained (perfectly) there, and traded in for a new one there.

Their website listing had a SLEW of pics, including pics I first thought were odd.
  • Why is there a pic of the dash storage compartment door?
  • That's an odd closeup of the passenger door.
  • Someone really doesn't know how to take pics... this is pretty much just a pic of the bumper...
Eventually, I realized what all the "weird" and "odd closeup" pics had in common.
  • Gee, there's a scratch going across the compartment door.
  • Ah... two tiny door dings.
  • Hmmm... paint chipped and scratched on the rear bumper... looks like a shopping cart scraped it.
They were thoroughly honest in their pics, showing the nice, full car shots that showed how beautiful it was, AND then pics that showed each little imperfection. All minor considering the car had 105,035 miles.

Then came the moment I knew THAT car was mine. It's a 2010 Premium 6MT.
  • Me: How's the clutch?
  • Ed: We checked it out, and it's fine, but it's got 105K miles on it. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you it will do another 100K. You're going to get 20K or 60K or something inbetween depending on how you drive. Decent driving will usually get them to 140.
  • (at that moment, with that and every other question answered so truthfully, I knew that was the place I wanted to buy from)
Side note: I got to 145,000 miles on the clutch.

Anyway, Ed never pressured me. I left a $400 deposit, and waited as he tried to push through financing. Didn't happen because of the miles (which we expected), I had told him I could get my own, if he could wait two weeks. He reminded me that he'd already promised he would.

I came in 10 days later, funds in hand, to a virtually empty lot.
  • Me: Wow, you all have been busy.
  • Ed: Yeah, we sold out almost all we had and have more on order. People were even trying to buy your car.
"My car". On a $400 deposit, and nothing but my word that I could come up with the money on my own. After he already agreed to take a grand off for me. And there it sat. Cleaned, gassed up, ready and waiting for me. He waited. Patiently. With the only call being "Hey, I know we couldn't arrange financing on that one, but we have an identical (but) white one with less mileage that we can get financed. But I think you're pretty dead set on the grey. So, it's up to you." "Yup, the grey." "No problem, that's what I thought."

I had to choose a dealership near me (Metric - highly recommended) for service, since they are too far away. When they first got their hands on the car (oil and tire rotation), they were impressed with how well Liberty (and the previous owner) had taken care of it.

Still loving the car, and that dealership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Robert.Mauro
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing