Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently on a whim at Pep Boys picked up some skull bolts with green LED eyes that I can use to hold on my license plate, and apparently wire easily (according to the packaging) into any 12v system.

I noticed that they also have LED "pissers" or windsheild washers... but my dad always called them "pissers" & I can't shake that terminology. :lol: Should I attempt these too?

I've done a little bit of wiring, on my guitars & stuff... but never a car.

Think I can do it, & if so... how?

Thanks in advance!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
If you want to do it, it should be quite easy. A good place to start if you want to learn about wiring, etc. Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Ummm...He meant that if you asked that same question in a larger club on the internet, you would get real harsh responses. We, ahem, are a little more mature here. Do what you like to your car and you be the judge, don't worry about other people and their bad comments.
Anyway, don't forget you only want the pissers to go on with your parking/headlights? Or are you going to wire a separate switch to turn them on whenever you want. Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...I figured as much, so I was being stupid back. I realize I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff, but I'm here to learn, ha ha ha.

I might just install the skull pissers w/o the lighting... but the license plate ones in the back, I'll definitely light up.

Again, I've never wired anything other than guitars... & with those I slipced & covered with electrical tape, or soildered connections... Do I want to use electrical tape in the car wiring, or do they make some little connectors?

(Yes, in advance, I realize this is probably an incredibly dumb question... but, I'm here to learn.)

:jump3:

·
Registered
151 Posts
All I can add is: check your local laws. Whenever you start sporting lights that aren't white, orange, or red, you're asking for trouble from The Man.

Specifically, only law enforcement vehicles are allowed to run blue lights of any kind. I also believe that some states have laws where you can only run white or orange lights on the front of a car.

A friend of mine in NY had lit "pissers" (not sure what color), was pulled over and had to cut the wires to them before he was released.

Think twice before going rice.... and caveat emptor.

Happy motoring,
-Retep

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm gonna leave the pissers disconnected, but the ones around the license plate in the back should be cool.

Although a friend suggested I get the skull bolts w/ red eyes, & hook 'em into the breaks, so they go red when the breaks do...

I dunno if I like that idea or not.

I'm pretty sure lighted pissers would be illegal in PA. We don't allow the ground neons or tinted front/back windows... so...

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Your best bet for DIY Mod info is to head over to scoobymods.com.

Do a search for wiring or something and you should find something that gives you an idea of what to do, otherwise post a thread in the "Mod Requests" forum and see if anyone comes to your rescue.

As for the term "rice," people use it to refer to things that make your car overtly Japanese in nature, hence, rice. Japanese in a bad way, like big loud exhausts that are just for show, but don't actually give any boost in performance. Or like a huge wing/spoiler attached to the trunk of an 94 Cavalier or something...or...neon/colored lights where no colored lights are meant to exist.
(Just so there is no confusion, Japanese in a good way is any and every Subaru every made.)

Though I must say, a little color here and there never turned me off. I've thought about adding lights to my exterior too...but it's not worth the risk.

At the very least, extra lights/bling give the cop an excuse to pull you over and then give you a ticket for speeding.

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
AiXeLsyD13 said:
Wow, this picture is dumb, but funny
Yeah, OK, if they actually shot laser rays at the car behind you, even I would get a set ;) ...that'll teach those tailgaters!

Like FMGreen says, 'rice' is not derogatory towards Asian people or cars, just towards idiots (of any nationality) who add obnoxious tasteless crap to any make of car (often older or wimpy base models, too) that doesn't improve power/handling/etc- "all show, no go"

I mean, the base Honda Civic has, what, like 12 HP... slapping on a 2-foot tall triple tier aircraft aluminum wing ain't making that car any faster :D oh, & adding VTEC badging does not magically give the engine variable valve timing, either :14:

Here's some extreme mad tite yo JDM rice from a hilarious site:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha, those pics are great. There are a TON of those in rural areas around here. I should keep my camera in my car & try to snap some.

I'm very anti-lowrider, ro around here anyway. It's funny to mee when someone buys a little pickup truck & lowers it. I thought trucks were supposed to be all rugges & for hauling & stuff.

Maybe the redneck in me likes the whole lift-kit idea. I did grow up surrounded by farms.

I guess you could classify my skulls as "rice" though, because they really do nothing. Don't worry, no LEDS eill ever go on my wheels, windsheild wipers, or anything else silly.

Although, I have wondered if they make a "cow pusher" for the front of the Outback, & how it would look.

...has anyone played the "try to angle the side mirrors to blind the a-hole behind me that's tailgating or has his high-beams on" game? ...Does that ever work?

Lasers would come in handy there!:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
AiXeLsyD13 said:
...has anyone played the "try to angle the side mirrors to blind the a-hole behind me that's tailgating or has his high-beams on" game? ...Does that ever work?
I've never tried it with my sides, but I've been very succesful with my rearview! I had my girlfriend in the passenger seat and she carefully aimed the mirror so the light bounced right back into the jerks eyes. Very impressive!

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Actually I think it pissed him off more and he passed me across a double-yellow line!

My dream scenario would have a cop see the incident and pull the sucker over. That would be the greatest thing ever.

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
I hate tailgating high beam users with a passion! I have been known to slow down to allow them to pass them ride their butts with my highs on. I've come to favor tapping my brakes just to light the lights w/o slowing down.

There was this one time in my '89 Chevy 1/2 ton when this Honda was so close half the hood was hidden, I lit the lights and the dude locked his brakes at 65 mph on the freeway. I laughed for miles and miles, and years and years.

Them LEDs would be fairly easy, locate a 12v source say for the radio system or some place under the hood and wire in a switch to allow them to be turned off whenever needed.

12v (+)------ LED-----switch------(-) ground

The 12v could also be tapped from the tail lights for the rear lights.

Well, you could also check with a stereo installation shop for some tips.

Good Luck!

Todd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts