Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.7L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have been trying to replace the front and rear diff fluids in 2010 Outback w/92,000+ miles. I am having no luck budging the plugs. At 71, I do not have the oomph and I have read these things are a pain to loosen. I have read of the different ways to loosen the plugs and I really do not want to take a lit propane torch under a car with all sorts of exposed hoses/wires. Plus, I worry about cracking the cases with more aggressive actions.

So, my question: has anyone one let the fluid go "forever"? Any problems?

Thanks in advance for an input.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
Pay a local punk $20 for a favor.

I am getting there myself. It would seem the factory torques setting on all of these cars keeps going up. For the simple things.

BTW at '74, my Dad has really slackened up his maintenance schedules on everything.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.7L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thread. It all boils down to a way for manufacturer's/garages/dealers getting their hands on one's wallet and eliminating the DIYer.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
Thanks for the thread. It all boils down to a way for manufacturer's/garages/dealers getting their hands on one's wallet and eliminating the DIYer.

if you hit the link next to the question mark in my signature you can fix where your about my car section currently says 3.7 liter like it was a nissan vs. a 3.6 like a subaru.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,293 Posts
Hi - I have been trying to replace the front and rear diff fluids in 2010 Outback w/92,000+ miles. I am having no luck budging the plugs. At 71, I do not have the oomph and I have read these things are a pain to loosen. I have read of the different ways to loosen the plugs and I really do not want to take a lit propane torch under a car with all sorts of exposed hoses/wires. Plus, I worry about cracking the cases with more aggressive actions.

So, my question: has anyone one let the fluid go "forever"? Any problems?

Thanks in advance for an input.
I had a simular issue... My response?

I took car to local mom-n-pop shop and asked them to "break free" the plugs and then snug them back up. It cost me about $10.

Then, back in my driveway lying in the dirt, I was able to change the fluids myself.... actually, my wife helped by adding fluid to the front diff fill hole whilst I was underneath watching the overflow drain plug.

Even with paying the shop $10 to break-free the plugs.... For about $30 total, I had new synthetic gear lube in both ends of my rig.

YES! Your 2010 has TWO plugs on the bottom of front diff:
1) Drain (Gimoungus TORX head bolt)
2) OverFlow
The fill-hole is on the top.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.7L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. I have pretty much come to the same conclusion. Just wish I had a mom and pop shop do it for $10. In this town, $10 will not even get you an answer to a simple question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts