Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering lifting my '08 outback about 1.4" with King Springs and getting A/T tires but am concerned about tire rub, as I've read lifting can pull the rear wheel forward in the well.

Questions:

Could I get larger tires if I didn't raise?
Is it really possible to go down to 15" wheels?
Recommendations for good A/T tires at 15" or 16"?

Uses:

Light off roading on very poor fire roads.
Heavy, heavy snow in winter time. Deep stuff with poor plowing conditions.

Thank you for your thoughts, perspectives and help!

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,568 Posts
1.4" is about the limit without requiring spacers to compensate. You'll definitely want the adjustable lateral arms though (without subframe spacers).

Also depends on the overall diameter of the tire. Slightly undersized will get you more clearance, but will throw the speedo/mileage off.

·
Registered
05 OBXT
76 Posts

I have the following installed:
RalliTEK 1.4" Rear Raised Overload Springs
RalliTEK 1" Front Raised Springs
Whiteline KTA124 Rear Control Arm Assembly
KTB Excel-G struts
KYB top hats
Enkei RPF1s 17x8 et45
Cooper AT3s 235/60

lots of trimming needed.

I would recommend 225/60/17s instead

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks super helpful!

Been doing more research and am honing in. Would really appreciate if anyone has any insights on this setup.

After talking to Paul at Primitive, seems like anything more than the Raising Springs is just going to cause more complications for very little return in lift, and lift I probably don't need.

- Primitive King Raising Springs Package (with .5 inch spacer in rear)
- All four KYB EXCEL-G/GR-2 struts and new assembly
- 15x7 Sparco Terras
- 215/75-15R BF Goodrich T/A KO2

Figure as long as this all fits right, combined with all 3 Primitive skids the ride should be ready set!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
I would recommend performance sway bar bushings, but that's just me.

:rahrah:

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
875 Posts
Reactions: fmxr47

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
875 Posts
You mentioned a tire that is also capable in the heavy heavy snow. The rubber compound on The KO2s isn't ideal for that. They look the part but as the rubber freezes it loses pliability. Avoid ice with these.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have the following installed:
RalliTEK 1.4" Rear Raised Overload Springs
RalliTEK 1" Front Raised Springs
Whiteline KTA124 Rear Control Arm Assembly
KTB Excel-G struts
KYB top hats
Enkei RPF1s 17x8 et45
Cooper AT3s 235/60

lots of trimming needed.

I would recommend 225/60/17s instead

Your OB looks great. Got me excited to get this thing going if it will look anything like that.

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
Thanks @traildogck !

I'm new to all this. What would new performance sway bar bushings do for the car/improve?

Really appreciate your insight and learning!
When you lift a vehicle, the center of gravity is higher than the stock car. CG directly affects "body roll". Body roll and flex, off-road at slow speeds is fine. However on the street at higher speeds, you are asking the stock sway bars to do MORE than their design spec. The un-sprung suspension mass also increases as does the rotational momentum of the wheels if you increase tire size.

Although generally, it is not recommended to increase sway bar size, since this will make off-road more harsh. However, almost every lift kit you buy for a truck or Jeep will come with all new "poly" bushings.

Now the disclaimer : I am the guy who makes the performance bushings. There are a few other companies that "poly" for the Gen3s, however CKE SSP bushings are a direct copy of the OEM rubber. I use specific industrial urethane. This is not cheap squeaky poly. Ebay links for reference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173347740477

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173197719227

I also have developed adaptations of newer model bushings and straps to Gen3. These new designs take advantage of the 10 years worth of advances in the Subaru sway bar bushings. The newer model bushings and straps need slight modifications, but since I am custom, I can do whatever I want

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173387851751

Here is a adaptation for the Whiteline rear sway bar.

·
Registered
2007 Gen 3 Outback 2.5i 4EAT LL Bean, Full Navigation
24 Posts
Been looking at these bushings, would there be any benefit to use these performance bushings on a non lifted Gen3 Outback (2007 H4 LL Bean)?

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
Been looking at these bushings, would there be any benefit to use these performance bushings on a non lifted Gen3 Outback (2007 H4 LL Bean)?
Yes...Of course. It will tighten up the body roll. There is also a double benefit for this bushing/strap kit modifed from a pater model...if you take the time to real through the link and look at the pictures you will understand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173387851751

Of course the standard 75d and 85d replacement CKE SSP offers are just as fine as a replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173070665592

I don't have an bushing/strap upgrade for the rear, just the stock replacement in 75 and 85d.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts