Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally am getting started on my lift. My '03 outback wagon is in need of some clearance and stiffer suspension for hauling gear.
I chose King Springs KSRR-29 for the rear and KSFR-32 front. THese springs should give me about 1.2" lift & are 25% stiffer rates. The springs are very beefy! Nice yellow color as well. I had installed the rear springs in about 40min. with air tools! I have yet to do the fronts , I'll keep you posted.

I measured the rear diff. clearance at my factory diff. guard. Before at 7 7/8" after is a 9 3/4" will see if it settles down abit. Just doing the back gave me a raked look. The handling was nice and solid! I love it so far, tight in the corners , no pitch and roll! Once I get the fronts done and an alignment thena road test/offroad test. I will post pcis when done.:D

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Very cool stuff! Where did you get those springs?

Personnally I'd like to lower my OBXT from 8.7" to 7.5".

I had 7.5" ground clearance on my Highlander and it was more then enough for my dirt road. I think the XT would look better, not to mention handle better if it was a bit lower.

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lift springs

I purchased King Springs direct from Kingsprings.com for the rear and the fronts I found them at Rallitek.com auction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
lowering OBXT from 8.7" to 7.5"

Sduford: "Personannly I'd like to lower my OBXT from 8.7" to 7.5" "

I agree with you that lowering the OB to 7.5" would look better and improve the handling.

Where would you buy shorter springs and would this have side effects on the suspension and alignment?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Re: lowering OBXT from 8.7" to 7.5"

kubler said:

Where would you buy shorter springs and would this have side effects on the suspension and alignment?
I have no clue if any springs are available. I have not found any suspension parts for the 05 OB yet.

There are some people who have put Legacy sway bars on the OB by using adjustable end-links from AVO.

There is also a guy on LegacyGT.com who put Legacy springs on his OBXT, but that lowered it by more then 2", which would be too much for me.

It will obviously reduce the amount of suspension travel so I think we would need stiffer springs. Less travel + stiffer springs would obviously negatively impact the ride quality. I'm sure it would also require the wheel alignment and camber to be re-adjusted.

I'm thinking of upgrading the rear sway bar to a 20 mm one (stock is 15mm).

Hoepfully, we will start seeing aftermarket suspension parts of the OB soon...

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update

I took apart one of my front strut/spring only to find that the new King Spring doesn't fit the spring retainer.......the retainer was larger than the spring dia. Today I took a trip to my subaru dealer (Carr)and questioned the parts guy about spring retainers. We came up with a forester spring retainer and rubber seat. I should be able to pick them up tommorrow and install them that night.....wahoo almost there!!:D

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
done!

I finished my lift last night! just need an alignment. Ride is really tight and I gained almost 2" of clearance!!! Now for some offroad tires/wheels.:D

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
digital ?

well, I'm still an old school photographer(film) .......someday I'll go digital......I'll have some pics tonight..........the question is lift or digital camera? ..........LIFT!:D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
scooby--i'm also a film luddite. but you can still get dig pix, as most developers now have otpion of a CD for a few $ more.....they're digitizing it anyway to print it these days. you do end up with HUGE files, like 1.5 MB per pic, tho, so yu'd need to have someone shrink b4 you could post.

what were your costs for the varius parts?

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
costs $$$

I purchased the fronts for $75(rallitek auction)used. Rear set $258
includes shipping fedex from King springs Australia direct (4 days!!)
Two forester spring retainers/rubber seats $53

my labor...............Priceless..........Joy of working and driving the only 3gen subie lifted! maybe the first? :D

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update

After a good month of testing on and offroad........I love my lift!!!
Handling is really tight when you push it in the corners......more tire dependant. On tarmac it's great! Offroad........ it's Fantastic!!!
It took me awhile to adjust my driving to the new suspension.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
FastSly and other 05OB folks.

I'm currently talking with Drummond MotorSports about getting them to make a set of their 40mm and 50mm coilover kits for the 05OB.
http://www.dmshocks.com/

They are currently working on the Legacy GT and my hope is to have them use my OB for testing when they are done with the Leggy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
11 Participants
Crunch
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing