Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
gp moto legacy coilovers

gp moto has coilovers for the New legacy line! Rallitek has them.

I think the DMS stuff is for serious rally racing, abit overkill for a daily driver and lots of maintaince!!!I would not recommend for your outback the cost of a rebuild is $$$ If you only rally-x that would be ok.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT LTD 5EAT
1,262 Posts
Re: gp moto legacy coilovers

scooby said:
gp moto has coilovers for the New legacy line! Rallitek has them.
Legacy coilovers do me as much good as a nacho cheeze chalupa for my computer. There are many suspension solutions for the Leggy, and there are many suspension solutions for the WRX/STi too. Those don't help 05OB owners.

Yes, the 50mm DMS units are meant to be used off road. Were you planning on installing coilovers to go to the shopping mall? Make that commute to work 2" taller? Was the point to that tubular bumper more airflow to your headlights?:p :D *just kidding dude*

The 40mm Units are the street/track coilovers. the 50mm units are the rally tested **** near indestructable off road units. The 40mm units are "normally" priced for high end coilovers. the 50mm units are priced similar one year of college tuition.

·
Submod , ,
2000 BMW R1150gs
3,017 Posts
Hey Random,
Have you seen some of Scooby's pictures? He's doing some pretty cool stuff and having a lot of fun doing it :D

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
?

Random, I think your parts swapping experience is limited. Remember , I'm a mechanic.....The legacy and outback share the same chassis. What was the post about DMS got to do with my lift? Your out of context.....
By the way howd you know my lights are aircooled.........LOL!

·
Registered
06 OBXT
26 Posts
Re: Re: lowering OBXT from 8.7" to 7.5"

FastSly said:

I have no clue if any springs are available. I have not found any suspension parts for the 05 OB yet.

There are some people who have put Legacy sway bars on the OB by using adjustable end-links from AVO.

There is also a guy on LegacyGT.com who put Legacy springs on his OBXT, but that lowered it by more then 2", which would be too much for me.

It will obviously reduce the amount of suspension travel so I think we would need stiffer springs. Less travel + stiffer springs would obviously negatively impact the ride quality. I'm sure it would also require the wheel alignment and camber to be re-adjusted.

I'm thinking of upgrading the rear sway bar to a 20 mm one (stock is 15mm).

Hoepfully, we will start seeing aftermarket suspension parts of the OB soon...
Fastsly,
Have you considered the MR coilovers? Fully adjustible travel, preload, and rebound damping (all independent settings) The added benefit of running stock height or dropping down to LGT height.

Running the MR's with zero spring preload will offer firmer than stock, without being harsh. The front stock rubber tophats are used so there isn't the jarring ride of metal on metal as with most coilover setups.

If nothing else, do the rear sway bar upgrade...and be sure to get the AVO reinforcement brackets. You can run aftermarket bars with the stock endlinks just fine.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
02 Outback H6-3.0 LLB
207 Posts
Sweet lift!

I was planing to do a 1-2" lift and suspension upgrade to my 02. Has anyone done this yet to that year of outback?

I was hoping to avoid some of my own mistakes by learning from others who have already done it.

Any suggestions for a 1-2" lift, stiffer suspension, and possibly sway bar upgrade to reduce body roll??

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
lift

Crunch said:
Sweet lift!

I was planing to do a 1-2" lift and suspension upgrade to my 02. Has anyone done this yet to that year of outback?

I was hoping to avoid some of my own mistakes by learning from others who have already done it.

Any suggestions for a 1-2" lift, stiffer suspension, and possibly sway bar upgrade to reduce body roll??
Kings springs are your best bet for almost 2" of lift. the PN# for your car are
Ksfr-32sp(front) Ksrr-29 (rear) note: these springs will reduce body roll alot as they are stiffer.

try www.kingsprings.com.au

www.rallitek.com for swaybar upgrades

·
Registered
02 Outback H6-3.0 LLB
207 Posts
I will definitely check out those King springs, thanks for the tip. Any idea if I will run into the same problem of the spring not fitting the spring retainer?

I am still debating between whiteline and rallitek for the rear sway bar, I have done a lot more research since my last post in this thread so I have a better idea what I'm looking for.

Since my OB is about to hit 100k I was thinking of changing out the shocks and struts while doing the springs. I would already have to take them off so I might as well, even though they seem to be good atm.

Did you do this as well?

I really don't want to change my wheels and new triple-treads, so that's why I'm only after an inch or two. I hope that small of a lift will not make my wheels look undersized.

A little more clearance and handling is what I'm primarily after.

·
Registered
99 outback 2.5 wgn.
26 Posts
yep. had to get two spring seats from a forester to put my kings on my 2000 obw. Seats are 14-17 bucks and the rubber gasket that fits on the seat is about the same. The car drives way better now and the little bit of lift doesn't dwarf the tires at all.

·
Registered
02 Outback H6-3.0 LLB
207 Posts
I'm bumping this up again. I do indeed have a shock starting to go out, so this mod just got moved up in my list.

Any recommendations for front and rear, shocks and struts, that will be better than OEM and still keep me with a lift of around 2" ??

Looking to stiffen up the ride some for handling and maneuverability, but I don't want it to feel like I'm rolling around on solid tires. I'm pretty sure the GF would kick my but for that.

Hitting 100k sucks at times, but it gives me a real good excuse to do the upgrades I wanted. lol

:D

21 - 32 of 32 Posts