Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2014 OB and only have the budget for now to do either the lift kit or wheels and tires. Getting feedback to see what I should do first. If you got a lift do you mind sharing a picture of your car with the lift and stick tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, 2.5l, Venetian Red Pearl
234 Posts
Recently bought a 2014 OB and only have the budget for now to do either the lift kit or wheels and tires. Getting feedback to see what I should do first. If you got a lift do you mind sharing a picture of your car with the lift and stick tires.

A lifted Outback with shitty tires isn't gonna be that good offroad.

Get new tires. They are, by far, the most important thing when traveling offroad. Then do the lift kit if you later determine that your travels requires it.

By stepping up the tire size to 235's instead of the standard 225's, you'll gain some free lift, too (about 1/5 inch).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lifted Outback with shitty tires isn't gonna be that good offroad.

Get new tires. They are, by far, the most important thing when traveling offroad. Then do the lift kit if you later determine that your travels requires it.

By stepping up the tire size to 235's instead of the standard 225's, you'll gain some free lift, too (about 1/5 inch).

Would you know if the 235 will fit the 2014 without rubbing?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
335 Posts
Tires first. For most people's usage good set of tires is more than enough.

I believe 235/60/17 will fit without rubbing.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,780 Posts
Another way to look at it is to say that the answer is neither or both.

If you just get KO2s, you are not really ready for 4x4 trails. Sure, you can do some milder ones, but be ready for work and stress.
If you just get a lift, then that won't cut it either as mentioned above.

If you do not really do 4x4 trails, then stock size Conti terrain contact AT should be perfect. I use them as DD and they did extremely well on dirt on my only off-pavement trip with them. They really do grip very nicely on dirt. They seem too mild for rocky 4x4 trails though (and are not advertised for rock but for sand and dirt).

So, it really depends on what you want to do. I'd say go all the way to 2" lift, bigger tires, and skid plates for any 4x4 trails or just go with milder stock size or 235 60 17 and skid plates for dirt roads and high-clearance trails. Bigger tires will impact acceleration, braking, and your relations with most dealerships. A 2" lift was fine with the insurers I spoke to but it is worth checking on that, too.

Bear in mind that paper numbers and real numbers are very different. With 2" lift and 225 65 17 tires at 20 psi and typical trail load, which is light, I have 10" to front skid plate and 8.5" to rear diff skid plate. The clearance changes a great deal with a lift, overall, but the minimum clearance does not improve one iota. It just switches from along the exhaust to the rear skid plate. The skid plates eat about 0.5" (a little more actually) and tires quickly lose diameter. Just fyi.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, 2.5l, Venetian Red Pearl
234 Posts
Would you know if the 235 will fit the 2014 without rubbing?

Not sure about a 2014. They fit fine without rubbing or issues on a 2015 and later, but on earlier models....???

·
Registered
99 OB SUS 2.5 DOHC
56 Posts
I would honestly just buy everything as you get money for it and then do all the work at once. That's how I did it on my Forester lift. My SUS was different mainly because I had the lift already bought, but before I could install it, I had to do a lot of restoration work on the rear suspension, but didn't pull it out of the garage until I had everything on. Depending on how your extra income is, I would just round everything up and do it all in a day.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,725 Posts
Tires will make most difference. But tires must be used properly . Choose right preasure for situation will make you go where otherwise you would stuck.
Too wide tires bad idea . they will look cool and all but in real life they will loose offroad capability. Most people doing mistakes with too big too wide tires.
Then lift
Skidplates

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback, 2.5
8 Posts
I just purchased my '14 Outback as well. Same color as yours actually. For what it's worth, I'm doing everything at the same time. Skid plate, bumper guard, some Hella driving lamps, 2" lift, 225/65r17 ko2s, mud flaps and a few other things I can't remember at the moment. I wanted my setup to get to fishing/kayaking spots, so depending on your intended use, you may prioritize differently. Having said that, I would have gotten a lift first because of the mountain roads I'll be on require just a little more clearance but the factory tires would have been sufficient. Good luck with your decision and happy modding.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,473 Posts
Has anybody changed from a 17in to 16in rims? Pros and cons?

you have a " 2014 OB 2.5 with 43285 miles" as per your first post.

16" came on the H4 base 2014 so you are fine to swap them on. ...(H6 have brakes that are too big for 16" rims).

people put 16" rims on with All Terrains, and snow tires. deeper sidewall protects rim from rocks/ potholes.
and the 16" tire is cheaper to buy as the deeper sidewall does not have to do as much with less space as the 17"

and then they keep their 17" regular rims, with all seasons for the 3 warm seasons or daily driver tires, and only swap on the AT when going off road.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,473 Posts
and you could hit the link next to the question mark in my signature and fill out the "your car" section. so no one need ask / wonder / or look that up, ...until you buy another subaru.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback, 2.5
8 Posts
Eh, so, my 2014 H4 base came with 17" wheels and it looks like frcoutback's did as well judging by his avatar. I also bought a fifth one for a full-sized spare. Other details are appreciated though as I intend to keep this Subaru forever and would likely swap for a more powerful drivetrain if the n/a 2.5 decides to crap out someday.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,780 Posts
I think the point @eagleeye is making is that you CAN switch down to 16 while I cannot. So, if you decide to go with two sets of tires, that would be something to definitely consider.

I know old Subarus were legos, but I do not know if it is possible to swap in an entirely different powertrain in a 2014.

Reactions: carsnrockmusic

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,473 Posts
I think the point @eagleeye is making is that you CAN switch down to 16 while I cannot. So, if you decide to go with two sets of tires, that would be something to definitely consider.

I know old Subarus were legos, but I do not know if it is possible to swap in an entirely different powertrain in a 2014.
maybe Tesla will smarten up and be ready with a drop in engine/trans

for the 2013-15 FB25B with CVT combination.

______

and someone out there, must make expensive 16" offroad/ rally rims for 3.6 outbacks and their big brakes.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback, 2.5
8 Posts
I get it; I just didn't want someone to open a new tab and purchase tires for 16" wheels (I get excited purchase things on a whim more often than I'd like to admit). :D

Any thoughts on a stiffer suspension to accompany the lift/tires? Not sure where the best bang for the buck is and what is worthwhile and what isn't. End links, sway bars, poly bushings etc.

Thanks all. This forum is great and I appreciate the willingness to share expertise throughout it.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,780 Posts
No, no stiffer suspension, unless you are really loaded and going down actual 4x4 trails. In that case, you could do RalliTek rear raised springs with 1" spacer instead of a 2" spacer.

I have Rallitek front end links and I have set them up around 0.5" longer than stock.

What are you doing with your front control arm rear bushings? They must be cracked already. One big crack on each. I keep mine as is, but the left is starting to make noise if going faster through a bigger speed bump. There are really only two options: Tomioka Racing bushings or Mevotech Supreme control arms. The latter are much cheaper (unless you feel like doing your own bushings and even so the Tomioka are 125 vs 150 for two Mevotech assembled arms) and feature harder bushings.

Poly bushings won't necessarily last longer and are known to be extremely stiff, especially on unpaved roads, so it seems like an oxymoron for a lifted car to me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts