Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a 2” lift kit on my 2021 Onyx XT, main reason is for looks and some added clearance for when we go off the main road onto trail heads.

I want to keep the same ride comfort don’t want to stiffen or soften the on road ride too much.

What is a good kit? I am budgeting about 1K or so to include installation, do I need to go up or am I in the ball[ark? Don’t need a Baja 1000 ready nor do I want a $99 special.
Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
I want to install a 2” lift kit on my 2021 Onyx XT, main reason is for looks and some added clearance for when we go off the main road onto trail heads.

I want to keep the same ride comfort don’t want to stiffen or soften the on road ride too much.

What is a good kit? I am budgeting about 1K or so to include installation, do I need to go up or am I in the ball[ark? Don’t need a Baja 1000 ready nor do I want a $99 special.
Thanks
subieliftoz is the best kit on the market ... speak to matt chaplin

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premium
43 Posts
subieliftoz is the best kit on the market ... speak to matt chaplin
Lift kits are nice if they are done right. The only drawback is that your mileage drops. If I was thinking about a lift kit, I would go to a pickup truck & have the advantage of hauling some cargo. :):):)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Lift kits are nice if they are done right. The only drawback is that your mileage drops. If I was thinking about a lift kit, I would go to a pickup truck & have the advantage of hauling some cargo. :):):)
but then you defeat the whole point .. having a subaru thats been lifted and had some decent tires fitted and can still do the job ...just shows to the disbelievers of what we are capable of ...

·
Registered
392 Posts
but then you defeat the whole point .. having a subaru thats been lifted and had some decent tires fitted and can still do the job ...just shows to the disbelievers of what we are capable of ...
but then lifting a car really does not affect your mileage .... its only when you fit bigger tires then yes it affects mileage .. pretty minimal ...... but then if you go out and buy another vehicle to haul what ever you have then paid out for the running costs of the other vehicle plus the insurance etc etc etc ... but hey thats your choice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Following... I just posted a very similar question yesterday. I'm going to be lifting my 21 Onyx also. Up until yesterday, I had my heart set on the LP Adventure kit. Then, I spoke with the guy from the shop that will like do the installation for me and he was really talking up the ReadyLift kit. So now, I'm all confused.

They both look like great kits and I know I'm being a brat, but I see the ReadyLift is 2" in front and 1.5" in back while the LP Adventure is 2" all around. Is that 1/2" in back really worth the extra $500? Probably not, but I know I'll probably looking at it later on thinking "Shoulda, coulda, woulda." I really can't decide.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Either way don't forget that you need to get a wheel alignment after the lift kit is installed - not sure if your quotes include that procedure.

Consider why you're getting the lift kit and what you're expecting from it. Is it purely cosmetic?

This article is worth reviewing for newbies - yes there is a place for armor and lifts but it's not a no-brainer:

Also, contrary to the instagram mindset, wide tires are not better for most off-road and bad weather situations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now am back to step one! We do like the looks of the Falken A/T trails, but then back to the lift kit, it will be 75% looks and the rest in practicality!

Maybe I should just say What the F, get both , worked hard for the $$$$ don't want to leave it to the kids and grandkids, they prob just waste it might as well save them some time,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
The Cobb 1.5" lift looks like better quality than others though I don't recall anyone trying it.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
8 Posts
Just posted on another thread:

For what it worth.. my mechanic talked me out of lifting outback unless it's absolutely necessary. He said lift changes angle of axels and that would lead to premature wear on them (or something like that) also heavier wheel/tire combo will destroy wheel bearings. He said if you want go extreme offroading and ready to service/replace drivetrain parts much sooner than on stock car - go for it, if it just for the looks - don't. Even if it looks sick AF

So now I am don't know what to do, really like the look of lifted outback, but do I want to compromise geometry in one way or another and get ready to spend money on repairs sooner rather than later... not sure.
Was thinking to go with Primitive Racing lift kit

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
270 Posts
Lifting an outback will give you little to no more advantage over a stock height one, the costs of the kit, install, and increased wear on the driveline parts is not worth it. If you want an off road play toy you should have gotten a truck or a jeep. A lot of people like to kid themselves and think the outback can hang with a built truck or jeep off road but the honest truth is, they wont. It sounds like for your application it's strictly for looks. Honestly, I would just do a wheel/tire package and get the Falkens and keep it at a factory ride height.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a 1.5" lift from Rallitek installed late last week. I mostly got the lift because of aesthetics. I went with 1.5" instead of 2" because it gives me the look while also being conservative about problems that can be created by a lift. I also didn't want the extreme look that I think the 2" lift can sometimes have. I honestly might have been happier with a 1" lift.

I went with Rallitek because of price. Of the kind of lift I wanted (subframe spacer with alignment correction and rear subframe drop to keep the rear wheel centered in the arch) the products all seemed the same and build quality didn't seem that relevant. Rallitek was good on price and are local to me (as are two other popular companies).

If you're looking to "keep the same ride comfort don’t want to stiffen or soften the on road ride too much" you don't want a spring lift (like Primitive). Any lift will either increase body roll (because the center of gravity has been raised) or will stiffen the ride to prevent body roll from the raised COG. The Primitive lift which (at least partly) uses springs to lift the car will stiffen the ride in an attempt to reduce body roll.

The Cobb lift that SilverOnyx mentions does look really nice but it looks like it doesn't address rear subframe spacing. From their site "A 1.5" lift was chosen as it does not require adding spacers to the rear multi-link arms." While a 1.5" lift may not "require" spacers on the rear multi-link arms there are companies that offer it while also offering solutions without it. I believe the those spacers are necessary to keep the rear wheel centered in the wheel arch. Also, other companies 'economy' lifts look about as nice as the Cobb kit. It's the non-economy stuff that has some components (the strut top spacer) that doens't look as nice (they aren't machined) but they're functional and hidden from view when installed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I started writing this up as my original reply, but it didn't answer your question, thought I'd post anyway since I'd already written it up. I'll likely update with corrections as they get sent to me.

There are a few kinds of lifts for Subarus.
None of these increase the space between the wheel and suspension components. Decreasing wheel offset is what is needed to move the tire away from the suspension assembly.

Strut top spacer with rear subframe adjustment
  • Rallitek, LP Aventure, and ADF have examples of this (at least for 2020+ models)
  • This adds hardware on top of the spring/strut assembly raising the body to sit higher above suspension components
  • This also includes hardware to drop the rear subframe to keep wheel centered in wheel arch and reducing angles of suspension change in the rear
  • This affects handling because center of gravity has been raised
Strut top spacer without rear subframe adjustment ('economy')
  • Rallitek and ADF have examples of this (at least for 2020+ models)
  • This adds hardware on top of the spring/strut assembly raising the body to sit higher above suspension components
  • This solution does NOT keep the rear wheel centered in the wheel arch
Springs
  • Primitive Racing is an example of this (at least for 2020+ models)
  • This extends the strut meaning the suspension is always riding around partly extended giving less capability to deal with drops in the road
  • This will also affect handling because the spring rate will have changed
  • This can help compensate for extra weight in the rear of the vehicle (roof top tent, cook/drawer system in the rear). 'Stronger' stock height springs could also be added to other solutions for this same effect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts