Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this elsewhere but it probably should have been here from the get go...

I really want to lift my OB before winter comes. I have a currently bone stock 05 2.5i 5mt. I want to get it as high off the ground without having to deal with a lot of nonsense (brake lines, control arms, etc.)

I am think I would do the King Springs, a set of 1(or 2)" body lift blocks, a set of GR2s and a bigger set of tires...

This post is for anyone who has advice about any part of this that could be a problem (is the car going to suck on the highway, for example?) any other parts I should replace before/while doing the project, etc.

Any input is great!!! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
648 Posts
i got 1inch on my 2011 and i had to get an ailment done but i think the kings would add another 1" to the 1" blocks so i would think you would really need one i done the blocks out my house took about 2hours to pound out the top hat bolts but after that was a snap lol

i know you got a 05 but just letting know what i had to do just adding the blocks could not be a problem with yours but just a heads up

·
Registered
514 Posts
In my opinion, I would leave it alone. Unless you absolutely must have it raised, like your driveway has 12" deep ruts, in which case spend your money fixing your driveway!

IMO, playing around with the height may end up costing you much more money, down the road than you had planned. Remember, these vehicles have four CV axles and the more those axles need to bend in order to turn, the more wear there will be of both axle joints of all four axles (8 different joints, right off, not counting anything else).

If the reason of raising it is to look "macho" - I would save my money for something that is functional. Where I live, we get much snow. Many times, I have followed a vehicle up the interstate with 6" snow on the road and these people who put really large tires on their 4X4's, you can see the thing, riding on top of the snow, sinking in, riding on top, sinking in. Had the OEM tires still be on these vehicles, the tires would most likely cut right down to the pavement instead of "snowplaning" on top of the snow. I know my vehicle went right past the 4x4's that were having a problem riding on top of the snow! My tires were cutting right in down to pavement!

As for handling, physics tells us that, the higher you make the vehicle, the higher the center of gravity! That higher center of gravity goes against everything the Subaru was meant to prevent, i.e., the low engine with horizontal pistons as opposed to upright or V pistons. I know I would much rather have my OB the way it is on fast highway driving and fast driving on winding roads than having it any higher than it is!

Any major swerve that may be needed to miss another vehicle, a deer crossing the road, etc. may be just enough to roll the LIFTED vehicle whereas the original "untouched-height" would most likely handle just about anything you throw in front of it.

In fact, the ORIGINAL SIDE WINDOW STICKER that came on my new 2005 Subaru Outback states the following:

**SUBARU ALL-WHEEL DRIVING SYSTEM**
To achieve maximum Traction and Performance, every Subaru integrates a unique system combining All-Wheel Drive with a symmetrically balanced, horizontally opposed engine and an optimally tuned independent suspension. The result is Exceptional Handling and Control in all-driving conditions.
STANDARD ON ALL SUBARU VEHICLES

Why anyone would want to mess with that, I haven't a clue.:confused:

However, with all that being said, it is your money and your vehicle, you must do what you feel you need, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Have you read the ghost walking thread? once you understand how the rear suspension works on these cars, you will understand that things like spacers will do more harm than good. The springs alone may take to the limit of what can be corrected with an alignment. After that, you really will need to fabricate new suspension components to get safe handling from the car. You would be better off lowering the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Wagondude
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing