Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After work I installed some LED liftgate lights. The accent lights
ALM-B-x6: ALM Black Accent Light Module from superbrightleds.com. I got the idea when I saw someone did it with their forester. The panels on the lift gate do come down in an order. The top by the break light is first, then the sides and last is the bottom. I was able to splice into the dome light and snake the wire through the rubber boot with the rest of the wires. I put one set of lights on the access doors for the tail lights and the other 2 just on the line of the insulation inside the panel. fairly simple install. Just took some time to figure the correct wires to power it. They turn on when the gate opens. I may tie them into the switch at some point. But now im happy with them. The final connection to power the lights is at the left access door. Ran the wire from the dome light around the windshield. They seem to be just as bright as my puddle lights. While I was working the dome light I also put in the 30LED UPCB series Universal PCB LED Lamp with Mating Bases. Ill be doing that to the center dome light as well. Might put red LED map lights in so its not as blinding at night.

Attachments

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
i just thought of doing this to my 01 OB what did all that run, and how many sets?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cost was about $50 for the lights. 4 lights on the lift gate and swapped out the cargo light for the LED. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
12 OB Prem
39 Posts
Just tried this with my car last night. The install went without incident, but now the light (when switched to "door") stays on ALL THE TIME. Wondering if/where something went wrong.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Just tried this with my car last night. The install went without incident, but now the light (when switched to "door") stays on ALL THE TIME. Wondering if/where something went wrong.
Door switch interrupts the live power feed - sounds like you could have grounded a wire some place causing confusion with the switch at the door or possibly tapped the wrong wire?

Cardoc often is able to pull wire diagrams that would be the clearest way to sort out if you hooked into the wrong spot or possibly created a ground point some how that alters the door switch behavior.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Functional modification, do like. It's annoying when the cargo tray is lifted it blocks the rear dome light and you can't see anything.

·
Registered
12 OB Prem
39 Posts
Door switch interrupts the live power feed - sounds like you could have grounded a wire some place causing confusion with the switch at the door or possibly tapped the wrong wire?

Cardoc often is able to pull wire diagrams that would be the clearest way to sort out if you hooked into the wrong spot or possibly created a ground point some how that alters the door switch behavior.
Most likely its a grounding point, possible from running the wires or putting everything back together.

I recently switched the interior lights to LEDs. I tapped the new lights into the wire from the light socket to the LED that I have in the factory light housing. I even unplugged the new lights, and the problem still exists. Will be trying to trace this out when the weather warms up a little, and I get my patience back.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium; 2012 Impreza 2.0i Premium (wife's); a pair of white, 1972 Porsche 914's (one on the road, one one of these days); 2006 HD FLHRI Fireman's Edition; 1971 HD XLCH "work in pro
72 Posts
Beautiful! Consider your idea stolen for my car. I have a medical condition known as "BFH," and when I lean into the car to load it, my melon pretty much causes an eclipse of the OEM light. This ought to be a great work-around!

I know LEDs have polarity; which wire in the factory harness did you use for hot? Can't quite tell from your photo on my screen. Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont remember which wire was the constant. I have it set on door. After taking the cargo light out and fiddling with the slider switch to see which position does what. I set one wire on the center position or the off position and the other on the door position. But did that before running all my wire. I had some small test wire I did this with. Just put the other end of the wire on a light bulb to see when it was the connection I was looking for.

Glad it worked out for you snowjoe. Did you cross a wire maybe?

Subiedoobiedoo, I have the same condition!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium; 2012 Impreza 2.0i Premium (wife's); a pair of white, 1972 Porsche 914's (one on the road, one one of these days); 2006 HD FLHRI Fireman's Edition; 1971 HD XLCH "work in pro
72 Posts
Heh. Must be because we have big brains. Never heard any comments about cranial size, just the old standards about feet. Which sometimes only means that you need big shoes.

But thanks for the reply! I'll poke around in there when my latest clandestine internet purchase arrives, and see what I come up with. I like the night pics you took; I think that'll be how I do mine so I have light around me for dog loading...and if I pull the trigger on a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im not wiring expert. Im just diving into this stuff my self. I found the liftgate light idea on a forester forum.

('09-'13) Interior LED Lighting Swap & Custom Lift Gate Lighting - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

I knew they would have to be tied into the cargo light. I just tinkered with it until I got it to switch on the way I wanted. Thats why I had short test wires connected to a random light bulb. Certainly learning about wiring doing all these little projects. And if you do go through with the trailer hitch, theres already wiring set up. You just need to get the harness. I did that too, got all the hitch stuff from etrailer.com the hitch is much easier to install with 2 people.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I thought there might be a harness in there somewhere. Etrailer is where I got the hitch for the 08 OB I had, and you're right. Best price I found, and plugging in their adapter was easy. I left it in the LR pocket instead of running it out through the grommet per the factory. Just a quickly drilled 1-1/2" hold in the bottom of the pocket to feed the harness through, and then I left it coiled in there so it didn't corrode between uses and kept water from getting into the spare tire holder. The weatherstripping was pliable enough that I could close the hatch without smashing the wires.

And I bet it would be easier with two people...did the 08 myself, and it was like an ignorant game of Twister holding everything in place while I started the bolts. I get going on these little projects and I go all OCD...can't wait for help, and don't know what to do with it when I have it sometimes. A little too cold yet to undertake anything major in the house garage (plus it has layers of crud tracked in it from our exhuberant road department's snow removal efforts), and I have that old Porsche pretty scattered all over the detached garage/workshop/smoking lounge so I won't be pulling the 13 in there anytime soon.

But thanks again for the tips and the guidance! This'll be fun to do and functional, too.

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
i'm not sure it has been asked but what brand of lights did you get? how have they held up, and have you had any problems with road deicer corroding them?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure what you mean from road de-icer corroding them, theyre inside the car. I got them from superbrightleds.com. The info is in the first post. Theyre still working great!

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
Yeah, sorry about that, I had a lapse in thought. I mixed what you did with what I want to do and thought you had some on the running boards on the bottom. I re-read that post and had figured out the brand. they have some really good stuff there. I like it.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
Nice Job! Would love to do this if I can be confident I won't run into wiring problems. I've done large car stereo installs, but sure would save time to have the right wiring diagrams including tap locations.

Hey SoobieDoobieDoo - check out the new license plate frame I had made up. You can design your own at - Custom License Plate Frames - Personalized License Plate Frames

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts