Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into putting a 2 inch lift on my 05 outback xt. I've seen a few posts online that recommended buying the kit and DIY at home because places in my area seem to charge a lot. How much should this cost to get done at a shop, and if I did it myself what do I buy?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i 4 inch ADF lift 215/70/16 BFG's Sparco Wheels
87 Posts
I would think most shops are going to estimate how long it will take them and then multiply those hours by the rate. They probably have no Idea what they are getting into and have padded the time it will take to cover their A**

You will need four sturdy Jackstands, a good floor jack, a set of Metric sockets, wrenches ect. I did a six inch at home and other than wishing I had air Impact tools it wasn't too bad.

Just don't put a time frame on the install like a couple of days and you will be ok.

Got any Subaru Clubs nearby? If so join and tell them what you want to do and you may have a few helpers

And if you run into problems take a picture and post it up here. You will get answers

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,406 Posts
another option would be to find a friend or relative that is a gearhead and offer them pizza and beers to help you. Might even be able to do it at their shop. If you have some valuable skills , offer a trade. Bake some brownies or do their taxes or edit their vacation video --- w'ever.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
It's basically just a strut swap - installing a 2" lift is really simple. The only additional steps might be unbolting a sway bar to make room for the longer strut assembly (strut + lift block). So for installation purposes it's basically just exchanging a strut assembly (not just the strut, you don't have to do all that spring compressing, etc).

So you can basically look up a strut swap video for 00-09 outbacks and it's going to look exactly like that except without the lift block which is cake to install.

2" lifts are really easy and shouldn't cost much at all. you're just unbolting the strut, bolting the lift block to the top of the strut and then reinstalling it to the vehicle. Not a big deal at all.

Larger than 2" starts to get into a lot more work with lowering blocks.

Also - you can install them one or two (both front/both rear) at a time and the car is still drivable. It's not as if you'll be hosed if you can't get all 4 installed at once.

You could also find a junk or scrap top mount for a front and rear (someone on here probably has some lying around), if you want to order the lift and then just see how they mount before you (or friends) do the job.

Email scott and he'll get you a 2" lift:
Lift Kits

I'm pretty sure it's this one:
Lift Kits : 0 2" Lift Kit 2000

1 - 4 of 4 Posts