Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 OB H6 3.0 VDC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have a 2001 outback VDC, and I love it to bits!

Thing is, I run out of ground clearance going along the beach sometimes if I pick a bad line, or simply going along muddy tracks with rocks jutting out.

What I would like to do:

1. Fat, muddy, offroad tyres. Are these worth it? What size would you recommend? I am not worried about compromised on road handling and I'm not too interested in all terrains unless you have any suggestions?
  2. Ground clearance! Now that's something we hear often on these forums! How do I get more? 2" spacers? I don't want to spend thousands... But I think some spacers would do nicely. Let me know.
  3. Wheel offset? I think I will need to do this to fit fatter tyres. What effect will this have on CVs etc? Anything to look out for? Maybe a limit to how much I can offset?
  4. I have already removed my rear anti roll bar. Very happy, won't be putting it back on. Should I remove the front one? If not, is there a way to install a quick disconnect for it that isn't pricey?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,368 Posts
You can get decent AT's in the stock size or close. I would just stick with that. Maybe +1.

There isn't a lot of clearance without bigger tires without cutting.

If you're dragging I would just start with a 2" lift. It's the most common size.

Why change offset? You can get AT's near stock size.

I liked my sway bar on the Gen 2. It was noticeably worse when driving without the front sway bar (they like to break)

·
Premium Member
2000 OB H6 3.0 VDC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get decent AT's in the stock size or close. I would just stick with that. Maybe +1.

There isn't a lot of clearance without bigger tires without cutting.

If you're dragging I would just start with a 2" lift. It's the most common size.

Why change offset? You can get AT's near stock size.

I liked my sway bar on the Gen 2. It was noticeably worse when driving without the front sway bar (they like to break)
Okay, so ATs seem like the way to go. Plus a 2 inch lift. How would I go about the lift? Just some spacers on the top of my struts?

·
Premium Member
2000 OB H6 3.0 VDC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll need a rear sub frame spacer too to keep the Geometry in spec.
Okay great. Do you have maybe a link or something for an example? I'm a bit of a noob.

By the way love watching your YouTube videos of your adventures!

·
Registered
01 Outback, Baja Springs, MH1 Retrofit, Project Keep it Goin!
48 Posts
There are plenty of good lift options from Subtle Solutions, ADF, LPAdventure, Primative, etc. that come with subframe spacers. Stay away from ReadyLift and some of the other el cheapo's.

I have 05 Baja Turbo springs on KYB struts and they work great, especially since I got it all 2nd hand for cheap with less than 8k on the struts. That gave me about 1.25'-1.5" all around. But if I were to do it all over again I would do spacers. The reason for that is because down travel is limited when you use lift springs since the strut is already that much closer to it's full travel extended length. I even notice they fully extend heard as a clunk when crossing rough railroad crossings at some speed.

Keep in mind your front axles. I had cheap carquest axles from the PO. After the lift they clicked on accel in a straight line and turning. Since they had a lifetime warranty I swapped them for new ones and instantly the same thing. Luckily another local Subaru nerd had a pair of Trackmotive Heavy Duty Axles and after installing those I had no issues. From my research I believe the only axles to use that will work with a lift is OEM, Remanufactured OEM and Heavy Duty axles.

Tire size is limited to the wheel well width, a lift won't change that (unless you go 6"+). I have 215/70r16 Falken Wildpeak AT Trail tires on Impreza RS wheels and 20mm wheel spacers to make them more flush. I get a slight amount of rub on turns and turns when articulating the suspension. If you want zero chance of rubbing you can go with 215/65r16 but tire choices are more limited.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,872 Posts
you can use just strut spacers up to 5cm, in rear just put spacer in control arm bushing place, rear will be fine too. but sway bars wont work in front with lift i think, end links wont hold . i drove without both sway bars , did euro trip 5500km's on highways no prob. At tires are enough unless you just go into mud properly and localy then mud tires will help not for longer driving tho. KO'2 would be most baddas AT tires there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you can use just strut spacers up to 5cm, in rear just put spacer in control arm bushing place, rear will be fine too. but sway bars wont work in front with lift i think, end links wont hold . i drove without both sway bars , did euro trip 5500km's on highways no prob. At tires are enough unless you just go into mud properly and localy then mud tires will help not for longer driving tho. KO'2 would be most baddas AT tires there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed the ADF 2” strut spacer lift with the rear multi link spacers on my ‘02 Outback Wagon. Great kit, relatively easy install with plenty of PB Blaster. I replaced the struts at the same time and put 215 70R 16’s (Cooper AT3 4S) and removed the mud flaps. Very minimal tire rub in point to point turns. I’m interested in getting a small amount of wheel spacer to widen the track but don’t want to deal with shot bearings. Undecided on that front. Any suggestions are welcome. With full camber adjustment to minimize positive camber in the front, I’m right on the threshold of having positive camber...thinking spacers could help there too. With the tires and lift kit I got close to 3.5” of total lift off the ground. Made a HUGE difference. The car actually feels tighter on the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts