Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Legacy
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I used to have a '95 legacy lifted on XT forester strut and springs.

I now would like to lift my '03 legacy and am wondering what parts i would need off an outback to do so. I have a complete smashed '00 outtback to scavenge parts from. Here is a quick list of what i am thinking...

To start:
-outback struts and springs
-subframe spacers

Later on:
-aftermarket strut spacers
-maybe some king springs

Just wondering if anyone has lifted a 00-04 legacy? Also what's the biggest tire i can run?

Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
1999 2.2 Subaru Legacy Wagon L, 1999 2.5 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon - both auto
26 Posts
I just lifted my 99' legacy wagon with a 3" sub/strut spacer kit from SJR and outback struts (for around 4" total lift). He also makes a kit for 00-04 though it is pricier. There are people that make kits and you might want to check out usmb as there is a lot of information about lifts there. Or just use the spacers from your OB (duh, i'm having a problem reading today).

You'll need to extend the steering u-joint (I used a forester joint off ebay, perfect fit, or you'll use the u-joint from the OB which is the appropriate length for the OB spacers) and maybe fiddle around with the shifter linkage if it is an automatic. Outback/legacy springs are the same so you can reuse your legacy springs, or just use the complete package from the 00' (again reading problem, haha) with the longer strut. From what I understand tire size is limited by the strut perch and seems to be around 215/75 15 (27.7") for 99' though you should have 16" on the 03.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 2001 Outbacks, 2 AT, 1 MT. 1 2006 Outback AT, 2000 Outback AT, 2008 Outback Sport MT
93 Posts
I used the '06 Baja turbo springs and KYB Excel-G's along with the Baja rear anti-sway bar. I gained over 2" of lift and the car handles very well. I recently acquired another '01 Outback and plan the same suspension setup on it. The beauty of this setup is there were no alignment problems or other strange happenings. Have stayed with the stock tire size, but plan on something a bit more aggressive on the next build. I've read that 235/60R16 fit without issues, but I have no personal experience with them.

JP

·
Registered
2003 Legacy
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

Were the struts Baja turbo specific? Or just replacement outback units with the Baja springs?

·
Registered
3 2001 Outbacks, 2 AT, 1 MT. 1 2006 Outback AT, 2000 Outback AT, 2008 Outback Sport MT
93 Posts
I ordered outback struts for my model year (01) and added the Baja springs. There are differences between the 00-02 and 03-04 struts, but nobody can articulate exactly what. The 03-04 struts are said to fit the earlier 2G models and are a few dollars cheaper. As it was my first "Lego" build, I went with model specific parts. For my next one, I may try the 03-04 struts just because.

JP

·
Registered
DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH
399 Posts
I lifted my old '00 Legacy Brighton Wagon before selling it using 2004 OBW Strut assemblys.

It is really high, actually seems to have more ground clearance than a OB as the front / rear bumpers are not as "low" as OB bumpers + the Legacy does not have side skirts - got a set of old OB wheels & tires on it 205/70-15's or whatever size they use, wagon still handles nicely.

It has been running around for nearly 2 years w/o issue.

If you use the OB crossmember spacers you'll have to change the steering linkage (I'm guessing the driveshaft center bearing would have/need a spacer to maintain proper angel as well)

·
Registered
2003 Legacy
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know if the 3rd gen struts and springs are compatible? I can get '07 XT complete strut/spring take offs for cheap.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone.:29:

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,438 Posts
The rears will fit, but they will be massively under-damped as the 07 is a considerably lighter car, and was already under-damped to begin with. *BOING*

Not sure on whether the fronts would fit.

'00-'04 Outback would be a much better back end.

·
Registered
2003 Legacy
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rears will fit, but they will be massively under-damped as the 07 is a considerably lighter car, and was already under-damped to begin with. *BOING*

Not sure on whether the fronts would fit.

'00-'04 Outback would be a much better back end.
Yeah guess I will pass on the next gen stuff. I think I will run the '00 outback suspension to start with, and then maybe pick up some Baja Turbo springs down the road

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just lifted my 99' legacy wagon with a 3" sub/strut spacer kit from SJR and outback struts (for around 4" total lift). He also makes a kit for 00-04 though it is pricier. There are people that make kits and you might want to check out usmb as there is a lot of information about lifts there. Or just use the spacers from your OB (duh, i'm having a problem reading today).

You'll need to extend the steering u-joint (I used a forester joint off ebay, perfect fit, or you'll use the u-joint from the OB which is the appropriate length for the OB spacers) and maybe fiddle around with the shifter linkage if it is an automatic. Outback/legacy springs are the same so you can reuse your legacy springs, or just use the complete package from the 00' (again reading problem, haha) with the longer strut. From what I understand tire size is limited by the strut perch and seems to be around 215/75 15 (27.7") for 99' though you should have 16" on the 03.

Good luck
A few years ago I used to have a '95 legacy lifted on XT forester strut and springs.

I now would like to lift my '03 legacy and am wondering what parts i would need off an outback to do so. I have a complete smashed '00 outtback to scavenge parts from. Here is a quick list of what i am thinking...

To start:
-outback struts and springs
-subframe spacers

Later on:
-aftermarket strut spacers
-maybe some king springs

Just wondering if anyone has lifted a 00-04 legacy? Also what's the biggest tire i can run?

Cheers,
Ian
I have a 2004 legacy wagon on forester struts it is a blast

1 - 11 of 11 Posts